Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Bernie is running, but what makes him unique?

Okay, so yesterday Bernie formally announced his run for president of the United States, and the media is already asking why his candidacy is needed. I mean, so many other candidates like Kamala Harris and Kirsten Gillibrand and Elizabeth Warren are taking up his positions, why HIM? It's like they're saying "go away Bernie, this is our show now", and that in this crowded 2020 primary, he's no longer unique.

Well, yes and no. It is true the party has moved left since 2016, which was exactly what I wanted and why I strategically voted third party last time. I figured if Clinton lost the party would be forced to the left. But here's the thing, are these other candidates left? I already wrote about Kamala Harris several times who is seen as the frontrunner, and I think a lot of the other establishment democrats championing parts of his message are just like her. They are as fake as a $3 bill. Bernie has been championing his policies for decades. It's a meme at this point that for every bad thing that has happened for the last 30 years, there has been a video of Bernie Sanders trying to stop it. And it's true. Many of his opponents were the ones who allowed the bad things to happen in the first place. Many of his opponents were opposing his agenda until the last year or two. Remember how Booker voted against importing drugs from Canada? I mean, this is Bernie's competition, and as I already laid out in the previous post, none of the other progressives in the race are as solid on the issues, or show sufficient commitment to them, like Bernie Sanders does. He is the OG. Why buy Walmart brand cola when you can buy Coca Cola? Why buy payless shoes for the same price as Nikes? Why play "Rules of Survival" when you can play PUBG mobile? The other candidates are mostly copycats and knock offs. Even if they adopt his platform, they lack the history of showing support of and dedication toward making his key policies reality. They're just jumping on the bandwagon. This is why Bernie stands above most of the rest of the race. If we want Bernie's policies to be reality, we need to support Bernie. Quite frankly I don't trust the copycats and one of my biggest fears is that one of them wins, and then fails to implement his policies as they regress to the center, allowing the democrats to return to their centrist ways. If we want this leftward shift to stick, we need to support a candidate that actually believes in it.

Quite frankly, the only candidate I'm even considering supporting over Bernie is Andrew Yang, and that's because, as you guys can tell, I'm a HUGE basic income supporter. So Yang has a niche Bernie doesn't that makes him attractive to me. But other than that, I pose the question in the reverse. Why should I support a copycat candidate when I can back the real deal? Why should I support Harris or Gillibrand or Booker or even Warren or Gabbard....when I can just have Bernie? Other than his advanced age, there is no other reason to consider an alternative who doesn't offer a strong unique policy position that is absent from Bernie's platform. You're free to your opinion, but this is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment