Monday, May 2, 2022

So SCOTUS is actully doing it (roe v. wade)

 So, it looks like Roe v. Wade is effectively dead. A draft of SCOTUS's opinion on recent abortion cases is coming out and they're finally overturning it. *sigh*, say it with me guys, we are in hell.

Now, I didn't read the whole 98 page opinion but I did read enough to get an idea of it. Essentially, it comes down to textualism. Conservatives, in line with the whole "anti intellectual" tradition discussed on the Kansas book, tend to approach the constitution in the same way. The idea of judicial review, precedent, ti doesn't matter. SCOTUS basically said roe v wade was a mistake, the text of the 14th amendment says nothing about abortion, and threw it out. It was a very bad, and very dumb decision. 

So what does this mean? Well, if you live in a blue state, nothing. If you live in a red state, say goodbye to abortion rights. Purple states like mine are safe for now but the second the GOP controls the government they'll move to pass laws here too. Say it with me, we are in hell.

And before any snarky liberal wants to lecture me for my third party vote, since I've seen this on forums already: screw off. Seriously, read the two Frank books I reviewed. This is why this happened. The right is crazy populist and anti intellectual, and the dems abandon the working class for the professional class, while basically demanding people support them as a lesser evil. Then when that strategy doesn't work, because it almost NEVER does, they blame the voter. Nope, it's all you. If you're gonna blame me, look in the mirror. Your self righteousness is what drove people like me out of the party. You couldn't bend. You couldn't actually appeal to peoples' interests. You had to scream BUT THE COURT and moralize and lecture to us, and you STILL do that. And then you wonder why we're alienated. Seriously, shut up and look in the mirror. YOU are the problem. The dems decided to ignore the white working class for minorities and the professional class. They even had this calculus that for everyone they alienated they'd win over 2 new moderate republicans. Apparently the math worked the other way. Then they have the gall to blame the swing vote.

Look. I'm pro choice. Staunchly so. I supported Roe. I'm childfree myself. I go further with it morally than most people do, including the moralizers who love to lecture others about it. I lament the fall of Roe. But honestly, the rot of the democratic party and the populist outrage of the republicans is what got us here. This has been their dream for decades, and the left, demotivated and deflated due to decades of betrayal, just ended up collapsing. It's not the voters, it's the politicians, it's the culture, it's the democratic party. And unless they shape up, we're just gonna keep losing to the right. Every time. Because the left has no power and is a toothless opposition power as long as it remains in its current form.

We need a party realignment. NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment