Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Discussing the senate dress code changes

 So, apparently the senate relaxed the dress code to allow Fetterman to come in wearing a hoodie and a lot of the weirdo decorum people are flipping out. How dare they relax the dress code! Blah blah blah.

Let me ask, what's the purpose of these fancy clothes? it's like a status thing, it's cultural, there's nothing about formal dress that is some form of objective morality. And as an aspie with sensory issues, i DESPISE dress clothing. People who know me in person know that I'm john fetterman on steroids. You literally cant get me out of gym shorts, t shirts, and in the winter, sweats, unless it absolutely HAVE TO. Why? Because such clothing is markedly uncomfortable and represents sensory hell. I see John Fetterman, and I see him as my spirit animal. I love his dress style. Gym shorts and a hoodie. Makes him relatable to me. I'm proud to have this man as my senator. 

Not all norms are good, not all norms should be kept, and sometimes its good to question norms. Some crappy cultural practices only seem to exist as a way to enforce conformity people, with most people adopting a form of crab mentality in approaching them. "Well I have to wear a suit and its always been that way so why can't you?" Because it's literally a sensory hell for me? Yeah. 

Be the change you want in the world, and I fully support John Fetterman and others breaking this norm. It's a norm that never made sense to me, and seems to be one of those weirdo authoritarian things I hate, and given my autistic sensitivies it has always been a huge pet peeve of mine.

Honestly, I wish we would do away with formal wear in all situations. If people WANT to wear that stuff let them, but the idea of REQUIRING or FORCING people to needs to go. Just seems to be one of those weirdo capitalist disciplinary devices to me. As long as your clothes are clean, not offensive, and cover all the right parts, I don't see the issue. Let people wear what they want within reason. Let people choose which fabrics and styles are most comfortable for them. There are some legit purposes of clothing. Some of it is sanitary (we dont want your sweat or butt crack on the furniture), some of it is to suppress sexuality (I could see "modest" dress that isn't overly sexualized being a requirement), and some of it is functional (clothing seems to exist to keep people warm), but honestly? Why a white dress shirt with buttons made out of certain material? Why a tie? Again, this is primarily cultural, and imposed on people as a disciplinary device or too enforce some level of status over more "blue collar" workers.

Speaking of blue collar. You could argue with those jobs, some purposes of certain clothing is protection. Steel tipped boots and jeans for a lot of heavy physically demanding jobs, for instance. So there can be extra safety functions for blue collar people. But for "white collar" or something like the senate? Yeah let fetterman wear gym shorts and hoodies. If I were a senator I'd also wear gym shorts and hoodies. I wouldnt say its a pennsylvania thing, but it does have a certain type of stereotype I think. Many us are humble folks. We just wanna wear gym shorts and hoodies while we walk to the local wawa (or sheetz) for coffee and food. Why not discuss legislation in comfort? Seriously if you can do the job without fancy dress, why NOT do it? Why make people uncomfortable or suffer? Our cultures sometimes make zero sense to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment