Seriously, given my relatively anti woke policy stances, I hate pulling the racism card, but people keep insisting on showing their ### on this issue. 9/11 was perpetuated by Osama Bin Laden, a militant islamic extremist. However, that's not to say all Muslims are responsible for 9/11, similar to how not all Christians are responsible when some whack job Christian blows something up. It seems like we get that nuance with Christianity, but not Islam, and that is basically racist. And really, when I'm the one defending religion, you know you're F-ing up given my "New Atheist" political roots.
But yeah. A lot of people, especially on the right, are giving those two crap for what they're saying. Rudy Guiliani, who was the mayor during 9/11 and actually came off looking like a hero for it at the time, was bashing Zohran for speaking at the 9/11 ceremony yesterday. While they apparently shared an awkward handshake, Guiliani was talking a lot of crap about Zohran before hand. And it's ridiculous. He's the mayor now, IT'S LITERALLY HIS JOB! Like wtf? Oh he's muslim so he shouldnt be mayor, DAE remember 9/11? Yeah, on this topic, my parents came into my room that night warning me not to blame 9/11 on ALL muslims or to give muslim kids in my school crap for it because they had nothing to do with it. I was really wondering at the time like....wtf, who would do that? But now I look at it 25 years later and I'm like, Oh, YOU ###holes! If anyone is an embarrassment to NYC, its guiliani. If not for 9/11, he'd be a wash out. And any clout he gained from his handling of 9/11, he's destroyed by aligning himself with trump and then going on about THIS crap.
And then you have people online bashing Abdul El Sayed for saying something like on 9/11 he mourns the 3000 lives lost, on 9/12, he mourns the millions lost from our subsequent actions.
...he's not wrong. And I've been critical of our actions post 9/11 as well over the years. I honestly think the drunken rampage we went on since then has done far more damage than the event itself. Between service members lost, the tax dollars spend, the blow to our international credibility Bush caused, the national security state that he built, and, of course, the thousands and millions of civilian casualties our interventions have cost since then, both directly and indirectly, YIKES. The event was bad, dont get me wrong, but theres a reason a lot of us younger people are more critical of interventionism and this weird faux patriotism the GOP puts on. As I've been telling conservatives I've been arguing with, we've seen the results of their preferred policies, they suck, yeah, let's not do that again. 2020s conservatives? Let's do that again but worse! Their boos mean nothing, I've seen what makes them cheer.
Anyway, 9/11 sucked, it was a horrible event, shouldnt have happened, we should mourn the dead. However, it was also a learning experience, and uh...some of us have learned the real lessons, and others of us still haven't. And the latter kinda disturbs me. I can forgive people who thought like this (minus the actual islamophobia) in like 2003....but if you're still sounding like a neocon in 2026, YIKES. And if you let your whole ### hang out with the racism, double yikes. Seriously, seeing so many people melt down over zohran mamdani and abdul el sayed existing is, itself, an eye opening experience. Yeah, we still got some really racist MFers in this country, and the fact that these attitudes are so common disturbs me. For as much as I'd like to imagine america as being post racial animous, the more republicans put their ### out there since Trump started running for office just continues to amaze and disturb me.
No comments:
Post a Comment