Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Hey guess what, I do care about the free speech rights of people on the left too

So, it was in the news recently that a member of the antifa organization was assaulted by a neo nazi. And with that, the perpetual outrage of the SJWs leaped into action and I suddenly find myself confronted by people because I previously defended neonazis from being assaulted by members of antifa. WHERE ARE YOU NOW PLATO? WHY AREN'T YOU SPEAKING OUT AGAINST THIS OUTRAGE?!

Um...because I have people on the left who do that for me. I don't play the virtue signalling game, I don't engage in the perpetual outrage the left is swept up in recently, and I don't like to blog about things I don't have a lot to say about. It's boring if I just post "I agree" over and over again on facebook or reddit or here. I don't blog about water being wet, because everyone knows water is wet. I don't blog about the republicans or Trump being stupid because everyone knows they're stupid (at least I hope we do). I don't talk about neonazis committing hate crimes, because they're clearly hate crimes and clearly wrong. The act of assaulting another is the problem I have, it doesn't matter who the parties are. The reason I come down harder on the left is because these people are supposed to be on my side and represent my views, and they're not. I'm harder on the left and the dems because I actually expect them to be on my side. To represent my views. I don't talk about the right as much because we know what to expect from them.

It's kinda like having two kids and critiquing the the A student who got the B because you know they can do better, but then you just expect Cs and Ds out of the other kid. One is reaching their potential, the other is not. And I care more about my side meeting their potential, because it's the only way, long term, we can actually beat the other side. In order for the left to beat the right, they need to clean up their act. It's not that I condone the right, or condone neonazis, their downfall will come in due time. I'm more interested in keeping my side's nose clean, in making it responsible, in allowing the public to come to their own conclusions about the right's ineptitude, which won't happen as long as the left is acting scummy too.

Lefties, we need to be better than the right. And that's why I push the left so hard. We all know what the right is capable of. What we need is for the PEOPLE to understand that. And if you act all aggressive and combative out of the gate and make our side look bad, people will continue to defend the right...against us. And that's not good for anyone.

That said, of course neonazis assaulting members of antifa who aren't assaulting others is bad. It's wrong to throw the first punch most of the time. And I don't care what party is aggressing against what on this matter. I shouldn't have to make a post clarifying my position here, because to me this is settled debate. Water is wet, hate crimes are bad. Can we move on now?

No comments:

Post a Comment