Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Amazon censoring their chat app and the joys of leetspeak

 So, Amazon reported that in light of the unionization of some warehouses (congratulations, by the way), that they're going to be censoring their chat app. Now, I dont know why you would want to have conversations about unionization on THEIR apps, as that would be stupid and big brother would be watching, but it's kind of hilarious the words they censored. 

Some words censored include:

Grievance

Pay Raise

Compensation

Ethics

Unfair

Slave

Master

Freedom

Diversity

Injustice

Restrooms

I mean...seriously? I guess they dont like being compared to wage slavery, or being called out for denying people use of the restroom, etc. Anyway, with that said, I decided this might be the perfect opportunity to discuss the joys of leetspeak, ie, an alternate form of spelling things because back in the early-mid 2000s we thought it was cool. Leet, or "1337" is an alternative of "elite", and it's basically a cool edgy way we older millennial gamers talked back in the early days of the internetz.

Now, I don't know, it's possible their app can detect variations of these words, but let's try to 1337-ify the above words.

Gr13v@nc3

P@y R@153

C0mp3n$@710n

37h1c5

Unf41r

$l@v3

M45t3r

Fr33d0m

D1v3r517y

1nju571c3

R357r00m5

What leet speak does is it replaces letters of words with other symbols. You can still ideally recognize what it would translate to. I mean, I tried to take it easy. But you can get pretty complex with this stuff if you want. 

1 \/\/@/\/7 @ |>@`/ /"@153! (I want a pay raise). 

Anyway, I just thought it might be good to dust off some of my old nerdiness to help people who happen to read this to do some censor bypassing to do some labor organizing. Do with this what you will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment