Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Discussing Yang's cringe opinion on split tickets

 So yang has inserted his foot in his mouth again. Love the guy, but seriously, sometimes he has the cringiest takes. This time he's going on about how Abe Lincoln won a 4 way race in 1860, and in 1864 had democrats Andrew Johnson as his running mate. And as you can tell, he was called out because Johnson was a disaster when he took over after Lincoln. That's kind of the thing with unity tickets. If you try to do one with someone ideologically opposed to you, if you die, your legacy is left in the hands of someone who will disagree with you. It might make short term political sense to do such a thing to get elected but if the VP ever needs to step up, it's going to be a disaster.

I know Yang has been kinda buddying up with Jo Jorgensen recently and given that, I have to wonder what Yang's thinking here. Is he thinking of joining forces with the libertarian party? That would be a disaster. It would undermine any credibility that Yang has among the left, reinforcing stereotypes that he is a right winger and techno libertarian. And again, if this ticket were ever elected, and Yang were to die in office, well, now we got the "taxation is theft, deregulate everything" crazies running the country. I admit, given the direction politics has taken since 2012-2014 or so, where I hated right libertarians with the passion of a thousand suns, I'm not QUITE as hostile toward them these days, but I still don't like them. While I am a libertarian myself, I'm more of a moderate left libertarian, or if the anarchist/libsoc gatekeepers insist I not use the label, I'm a social or center libertarian. These ideologies are fundamentally different from right libertarians and don't have much in common with them, in some ways being diametrically opposed to each other. I would not want to align with such people. It would be like me aligning with tankies in the other ideological direction. I kinda wanna stick to the lib left quadrant mostly, you know? 

So I hope Yang isn't thinking about some sort of unity ticket with what I see as a diametrically opposed group. A general coalition with the greens and libertarians is fine, but I wouldnt want a unity ticket where yang runs for president and then makes jo jorgensen or rand paul or something his running mate. I really don't like the idea of such unity tickets and think yang's sentiment is totally wrong here.

No comments:

Post a Comment