Monday, April 18, 2022

Discussing the left's reaction to Elon Musk buying twitter

 So, Elon Musk is trying to forcefully by twitter. While I am not sure if this is good or bad for the future of the platform, because I don't like the idea of some billionaire just buying such an important public platform as it could end up ruining it, I have to react to the left's apparent "worst fears" on this. 

Apparently what the left is fearing is that Elon is going to turn it into a platform where people can say whatever they want. Oh noes, the horror. I've seen this on MSNBC, and I've seen some on twitter crying about this too. Even worse, they're like "oh noes Musk is gonna threaten free speech by letting people say what they want". I mean, WHAT?

I mean, okay, I guess they fear that Musk would allow "hate speech" on the platform. Apparently he's had some opinions considered transphobic, and that could play a role in him wanting to buy it, but guess what, I support free speech. I don't endorse hate speech, but conceptually, I believe people should have the freedom to say what they want. And if Elon Musk is for free speech, well, I'm gonna support that. I don't necessarily like a lot of things that guy is about. I see him as a weird egomaniac billionaire who sometimes has some good ideas and sometimes is just your typical jerky billionaire, but when he's right, well, I'll give him credit for that. The dude has backed UBI and expressed anti work sentiments before before so he has that going for him, and if he's going to be a bastion of free speech, I'm all for that. I'm pro free speech. I'm anti censorship. 

 And it baffles me. 10 years ago I saw the left as a bastion of free speech with the atheism community and all of that. Now I see the left pushing for cancel culture. And I just hate it. I really dislike what the left has become in recent years. This isn't what I came to the left for. I came for the free thought, freedom to live as you want as long as you dont harm others, and the idea that economically we do need social programs and government intervention at times.

And yeah. I just felt a need to discuss this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment