Thursday, November 9, 2023

Jill Stein is running for president again

 Source. And this time, I have to say, ugh, can she not? I mean, let's face it, if Hillary didn't have this entitlement complex that drove me to voting for someone who didn't really have a solid platform but what I called a progressive wishlist, I probably wouldn't have even voted for her. I mean, I really held my nose for her in 2016 and I'm sorry, but given my own personal development since then, I'm not sure I can do that again. Marianne williamson has a solid platform and is running as a democrat. Cornel West is the de facto progressive nominee and despite whatever flaws he has, Stein is a downgrade. I actually thought Howie Hawkins was a significant upgrade in 2020 as a comparison. 

Like, this is the problem I have, again, with a lot of Bernie type nominees. Unlike Bernie, who actually had a solid platform with numbers and who could've brought in a massive coalition around them, these leftist candidates have way weaker plans, they often just say what they think people want to hear, and honestly, since 2020, I've kind of brushed up on policy, and I don't agree with a lot of leftist ideas, like a green new deal, a job guarantee, etc. Yes, at least they're advocating for guaranteed something, but given that stuff is a direct competitor to UBI and given how most of those guys are actually hostile to UBI, I'm kind of cooled off on these guys.

Back in 2016, I went along with these guys thinking it would move the overton window left allowing UBI to be discussed. But then Yang ran on it and I don't see any reason to back a traditional leftist any more, when I can instead just advocate for UBI. This isn't to say that stein didn't have good ideas, you can read her 2016 campaign site here to get an idea of what she's about. And it's not much different than bernie, west, williamson, etc. But that's the point. Why should we support her, when theres already multiple candidates better than she is?

Also, her plan to cut 50% of our military looks a lot scarier in 2023 given the threats we're currently dealing with. I'm not really a fan of anti war peaceniks, I am basically just Biden on foreign policy and that balanced approach. 

So idk. I'm not really particularly enthused here. On the climate, I wouldve much rather seen biden's build back better. Medicare for all is nice, but if Biden actually did a decent public option with automatic enrollment, I could've supported that too. And idk, I kinda just think who we need right now is Biden, probably. 

That's how I feel. Like, I'm not in a protest vote mood in 2024. There's too much at stake with trump running again and him being openly anti democracy and authoritarian, as well as dealing with threats like Russia, Hamas, and CHina. Biden aint bad on policy. I've kinda become a bit more centrist since 2020 on some key issues (mainly so I could better accommodate my UBI plan), and yeah, don't we already have several leftist candidates running on this stuff? 

So yeah. I don't think I'm gonna protest vote this time. I'm not feeling it. I'm not feeling these candidates. And while Biden aint perfect, I think this is a year it's better to protect the democrats from electoral annhilation than to protest vote them over policy preferences. Maybe we can do that in 2028, but not now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment