Saturday, September 25, 2021

The Gabby Petito media coverage is stupid

 Okay, to flip back in the other direction after criticizing the black political community for making everything about them, I want to briefly discuss the Gabby petito thing. Gabby Petito was a 22 year old white girl who was a youtuber and did vlogs about "van life". She was murdered brutally, potentially by her fiance, and now the media is going nuts turning it into the next 24/7 thing. Now, I want to emphasize first and foremost that the murder is horrendous, and I hope whomever did it is brought to justice, and I'm not trying to downplay the severity of the events here.

However, what I am going to criticize, as are many progressives in more left wing circles, is the disproportionate media coverage that this has generated. This story does NOT deserve the insane amount of coverage that it got, and it is, quite frankly, a bit racist that it is covered like this.

Let me explain, murders happen all over the country. This one was bad and horrifying, but so are, well, all of them. And we don't really talk about them often. You know about a half mile from my house some teenager was shot in the head and presumably died? Not going to link to the story as I don't want to give away my exact location, but suffice to say, yeah, that happened. Murders happen all the time. I had a friend in high school who was murdered going to a New Years party back then. I had a dude in my church whose brother was murdered walking home from his job in broad daylight. Now, admittedly, I live in a ghetto. And this sort of thing happens all the time. But that's the thing. it gets like one day of media coverage on the local news and then is promptly forgotten about. Many of these people are POC, and quite frankly, no one cares. "Eh, gangbangers killing each other again, what you gonna do?" Except not all of these people are gangbangers. My friend certainly wasn't. Neither was the dude whose brother attended my church. But that's how people perceive it. But, when the story appeals more to uh...suburban white america and hits a little close to home, OMG WHAT A TRAGEDY, SHE HAD HER WHOLE LIFE AHEAD OF HER! It's always the suburban white girl who ends up plastered on national media coverage for weeks at a time. Rarely is it a POC, or someone who lives in a rough area. I just find it annoying. Honestly, I wish these kinds of cases werent covered more than necessary. it's just tear jerking stuff. I'd rather my news be full of political discourse and issues of substance. Not this. Some people might think I'm a jerk for this, but a lot of people probably agree with me too, reading the temperature in the room among progressives on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment