Friday, December 16, 2016

Debunking the argument that I have no right to talk because I didn't vote for Clinton

So...a common argument I run into from the Hillbots recently is that because I refused to vote for Clinton I have no right to comment on the democrats or their platform because I proved myself to be an unreliable voter. This is a load of BS. Plain and simple. As I've stated before, politicians must earn my vote, not demand it when they clearly aren't appealing to me. Me giving feedback on why I didn't vote for them is supposed to help them figure out what they did wrong so I DO vote for them.

This concept that I must vote for them before even giving feedback on them is asinine. Elections are won by combining the party's base with independent voters who are less reliable. Parties need to win by appealing to their base and winning over enough independents to build a coalition that can win elections.

Imagine if a party is a business, and imagine if voters are customers. We customers of the 2012 election who decided we are not satisfied with what we got basically decided not to renew our subscription to the democratic party, because we were not satisfied with what we got. Now, imagine if we refused to renew our subscription and they said that because we weren't loyal customers, we have no right to complain about the service? Well, this is just an easy way to ensure that customers pissed off by the business at hand never win those people back ever again. Any business that acted in this way could go out of business and no one would shed a tear. Academics geared toward business would be like, no crap, of course you went out of business, you not only alienated your customers but you ignored their feedback when they tried to give it to you.

I didn't refuse to support the democrats this time out of some sort of laziness where I'm like...eh, I don't feel like going to the polls today. I'm going to stay home. I refused out of a conscious effort to say "hey, this treatment is unacceptable, I'm taking my vote and walking, if they want me back, this is how they get me back."

That being said, democrats, ignore the feedback you get from the Bernie camp at your own peril. Many of us WILL support you if you do a better job appealing to us. I only voted green because I felt the democrats not only failed to do so, but acted antagonistically toward us. And I will continue to refuse to support them for as long as I need to for them to start listening to me. You can't just expect me to show up and vote for a party that already showed complete disregard for my ideas and interests. In the business world, this is called voting with our dollars. In the political world, it's just voting. But it's the same concept nevertheless. Appeal to people, and you get what you want. Ignore them and tell them to take a hike and they walk. I'll vote democrat when they actually appeal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment