Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Thoughts on the electoral college vote

So...the electoral college vote happened yesterday. There was a lot of talk about faithless electors and trying to convince electors to abandon Trump and embrace Hillary in order to elect her president in something reminiscent of a coup. Thankfully, this little stunt not only happened, it backfired. Five electors abandoned Clinton and voted for people like Bernie Sanders and Colin Powell, whereas Trump only lost 2.

I don't really approve of the idea of faithless electors, don't get me wrong. To me, they sound like "superdelegates", an attempt by the oligarchy to make the "right" decisions even if it goes against what the people want. And while Clinton won the popular vote, I don't approve of these electors voting for candidates other than who they're supposed to support according to the rules.

I just find it funny that for all of this talk of faithless electors abandoning Trump, more decide to abandon Clinton. I think it really gives us an idea of how much portions of the democratic base dislikes Clinton. I mean, if Clinton won 272-266 like I expected, 5 faithless electors would've been enough to cost her the presidency. This is both a scary and an amusing thought to me, given how I hate the fact that faithless electors can exist, but that more of them actually existed on the left than the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment