Monday, January 16, 2023

Reacting to prehistoric myths chapter 5

 This is going to be a short one as I didn't have much to say, but I did find it interesting that Thomas Paine was the one author to largely reject the hobbesian hypothesis pointing out that native americans were far better off than the european poor, although far worse off than the european rich. Still, given what I said about inequality, I'd argue that's still the case somewhat today. 

I also find it interesting that Paine was also the one guy who argued for a citizens dividend way back in the 1700s. He always was an oddball among the founders. Critical of christianity, pro-whatever the precursor to UBI was. His ideas weren't perfect, but I admittedly am influenced by them.

really helps guide my thinking on the hobbesian stuff to some degree. As I said, I dont really reject the outright proviso that everyone is better off in society. Most arguably are, but all? No. Modern society with it carries many problems and should do much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment