Thursday, June 22, 2023

A review of the infamous logitech controller

 So...yeah. That titanic sub? Those guys are dead. Crunch. I kinda figured that's what happened when it was first reported. I mean, you go 2.5 miles down and the pressure there is INSANE. Pick up a jug of liquid, and just feel the weight of it. Now imagine TWO MILES of that just pressing on your body. Now, there are subs built to withstand that kind of pressure, but that sub...wasn't one of them.

Heck, Kyle Kulinski did a good video on this sub and how rickity it was, and yeah, it was a disaster waiting to happen. It was cleared for depths of like 1000m, they took it to **4**000m. The thing used parts from outdoor world. The thing that controlled it was a $30 logitech controller....and wait...that controller looks familiar to me. That looks like...my controller. Wait, that's my controller. Holy crap, that's literally my controller. 

Okay, it isn't EXACTLY mine. I have the logitech F310, and they used the F710, but they're ALMOST the same thing. They have the same button layout, presumably similar build quality. They just happen to have the wireless version with a rumble option. And theirs is silver and mine's black. Otherwise, literally the same thing.

And I seriously have to ask: WHY WOULD YOU EVER USE THIS FOR A SUBMARINE?! Like, if you're going to the literal bottom of the ocean, you want state of the art equipment. But nothing about this sub was state of the art. It was something that NEVER should have been taken to this depth. Even if it worked. And the amount of corners cut was just...astounding.

**I** cut corners with buying this thing. This is a cheapo controller. The model I got I bought for $13 on amazon on sale. I wanted a cheap controller I could use with my PC for games that dont work well with keyboard and mouse, and not wanting to invest $60 in an actual xbox branded controller, I bought the cheapo version. I literally bought the cheapest controller I could get that doesn't outright suck. And I have used it a little bit. And let me tell you. It feels cheap. It feels plasticky, the triggers on it feel cheap and are rather awkwardly positioned. Even if I was a hardcore controller oriented gamer, I would not regularly use this. But being a PC gamer and 99% of PC games being better on keyboard and mouse, I don't really NEED a really good controller. But if I wouldn't trust this thing for say, esports, why should you trust it with a submarine going to the bottom of the atlantic? Even worse, they used the wireless one, which despite the name having a higher number (indicating a more premium model) and higher price tag, I'm actually kinda sorta convinced after reading reviews that this is WORSE than mine. Because the wireless component seems flat out unreliable and apparently disconnects regularly. Which is a huge reason i hate wireless peripherals myself. I prefer something wired that is physically connected because then i dont gotta worry about things like batteries, the thing disconnecting, etc. These guys bought a freaking $30 controller to go to the bottom of the north atlantic with and the thing doesn't even reliably stay connected to gaming PCs.

Again, if you wouldnt use it for say esports level gaming, why would you use it for this?!

All in all, it does it job though. At least in my case. I mean, for casual gaming on a PC if you just need a controller here and there, yeah, it's passable. I can't say I love this controller. But I dont really want to invest big money into a controller that I would "love", especially when I only use this thing like twice a year. If it were a daily driver of mine, I would probably want something more robust. And if you're going to the bottom of the ocean to see the titanic, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET SOMETHING ACTUALLY MEANT FOR THAT. DO NOT put your life in the hands of a cheapo product like this.

I give this controller a 6/10. It's not great, even for the standard of gaming, but it's passable. DO NOT use it to go visit the titanic with. 

Of course anyone should know that by now. The results speak for themselves. The thing crunched like a tin can because...by the standards of the pressure at the bottom of the ocean, it IS a tin can. 

If you're going to visit the titanic for real, do it professionally. Use equipment actually rated for that so you don't die.

No comments:

Post a Comment