Friday, September 4, 2026

Dear nvidia, can we NOT?

 So....I've mostly been ignoring the talk of DLSS 5, because I dont care about DLSS 5. As I see it, DLSS was created to solve a problem that we didn't need to have in the first place. Ray tracing had an enormous performance cost, and in order to make it run, we needed DLSS to upscale images to higher resolutions.

Now, upscaling is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, I like the fact that I can upscale a game from a lower resolution to a higher resolution. In theory it can extend the life of aging systems. But then developers RELY on it as a crutch, where games expect you to use it and it makes games a blurry mess. 

Now, to be fair, I cant use DLSS< because I bought AMD. Why? Because nvidia thinks charging a 50% premium for a better upscaler and ray tracing I dont want is a justifiable business practice. I just see it as predatory. nvidia wants to be greedy, I'll buy AMD. Anyway, now they made DLSS 5. And the internet hates it. Basically, it takes AI and makes games look better with it. Now, it has mixed results, with some saying AI ruins the art direction of games by making everything realistic. I kind of agree. And quite frankly, I dont really care that much about it. Games look good enough already and I havent seen anything from DLSS 5 that makes me go "wow, I totally want this RIGHT NOW."

But heres the thing. This new tech, much like upscaling, which STILL isnt really worth using on most mainstream systems (keep in mind mainstream gamers game on 3060s/4060s, so basically those "8x 1030" cards that are generally the sweet spot in price/performance for the past 4-6 years), has INSANE performance costs. Like truly, insane, performance costs. Like you're losing 60-75% of your FPS using it. Now, let's be real, is it worth it? I mean, I could see some idiot who goes out and buys a $5000 RTX 5090 act like it totally changes the game and they cant live without it, but let's face it, they're just rich ###holes trying to justify a ridiculously expensive purchase. For mainstream gamers who actually care about getting good value for the money...well....NO.

Like, again. Do we need graphics to keep getting better? It would be one thing if we could just keep pumping out $250 cards that double in performance every 3 years like we used to, I mean, sure, if we do that, and PC gaming was still affordable and things kept getting better, that's one thing. But when we're hitting a performance wall like we are, it's not worth it. And now with rampocalypse making GPUs start appreciating in value like the COVID pandemic all over again, honestly? Who wants this?! No one can afford a GPU that can actually run this stuff at decent settings. Why the heck should I wanna play a game at like 30 FPS when I can play it at 120 FPS? Seriously. And that's if you have a newer nvidia card that can handle it. I mean, Im on AMD but when someone tested a 5050 today with it, it was like...13 FPS with DLSS5 on. On low. At 720p. Again, who wants this?!

I feel like these billionaires are just massively out of touch with the normal person. They have their little visions for the future, and they insist on telling us that their vision is the future, and we gotta get with it, and eventually the devs of major gaming companies start making their games around tech like this, and it forces us to upgrade to expensive GPUs we dont really need outside of the artificial obsolescence, and yeah, it's bullcrap. Idk why we cant just focus on optimizing games better. I dont want this crap. I've been fine with how games looked since around 2016ish. And I still insist most progress since then aint really progress. It's just a bunch of tech bros forcing fancy tech on us no one wants or cares about. Like yeah yeah yeah it looks a little better. Who cares? Games look good enough, theyve looked good enough since BF1. Just give me better frame rates and more longevity for hardware if we can't actually get more raster performance. And no, I dont mean frame gen. That tech is iffy as all fudge too. Fake frames introduce latency which makes games harder to play. it's not free performance and it only works properly ABOVE 60 FPS anyway. And given I run a 60 hz monitor for longevity purposes...yeah. What is this actually doing for us? 

Like again, I really hate all this crap. Everything's expensive, we cant afford new hardware any more, and OH HOW ABOUT A TOOL THAT KILLS YOUR FPS BY 2/3 THAT NO ONE BUY 5090 USERS WILL WANNA USE? Uh...HOW ABOUT NO! *puts pinky to mouth* 

Anyway, end rant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment