Monday, October 10, 2016

On the second presidential debate

So we have another debate between Trump and Clinton last night and I just wanted to give some brief thoughts.

First of all, while Trump had some good moments, I think he did poorly. His two best moments were saying Clinton should be in jail and his complimenting of her at the end of the debate when asked to do so. Other than criticizing Clinton on some character issues, he did quite poorly, especially once the discussion switched to policy. His apology for the "grab her by the pussy" video was half baked and his rambling about ISIS was just a huge distraction from the issue. One thing that I felt was particularly despicable were his blatant attempts to panders to Sanders supporters by invoking him over and over.

Trump, you're a republican. You are the total polar opposite of what Sanders stands for, except on maybe trade issues. You do not get to invoke Sanders' name in pushing for your radical right wing healthcare and education plans. Sorry, it just doesn't work. I found this blatant attempt at pandering to be extremely disrespectful to Sanders. I may not like Clinton, heck, given the Podesta emails I am growing to despise her more every day. But just like I don't think your crappiness as a candidate gives Clinton a free pass, neither does Clinton's crappiness give you one. You might be able to convince some people to support you out of spite, but you're not getting me, and I will strongly advise anyone with similar political views to me to not endorse this guy. Trump is a jerk, he doesn't deserve to be president either. He is against everything I stand for. Clinton's corruption or not, I will NEVER endorse Trump. I will encourage people pissed off at Clinton to consider third party candidates like Jill Stein or Mimi Soltysik.

Anyway, back on topic, Clinton's performance. I think she came off weak on many character issues at the beginning of the debate. However, once the debate shifted to policy, she clearly had an edge in my opinion due to a better grasp of the issues. I don't have much else to say here.

Either way, I don't feel like this debate, like the others, were really great. It seemed a bit less scripted than the vice presidential debate, but it still didn't really discuss the issues in the framing I would support. Especially on foreign policy. Why should be we intervening in Syria at all? Stay out of it. I hate how our political dialogue creates thee crises that we somehow feel responsible for solving. I don't believe America should be the world police here. I think we should mind our own business and not put our people in harm's way for conflicts that don't concern us. Amazing how these kinds of common sense positions aren't even represented in the debate, and that anyone who would hold them would be deemed as weak and incompetent.

But yeah, those are my brief thoughts on it. I think Clinton won overall, but that Trump had a few good moments here and there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment