Friday, October 1, 2021

Discussing Dero Goi and the downside of spiritual awakenings

 So, I don't expect people to know who Dero Goi is, so I'll provide some context. Dero is(was) the lead single of the German metal band, Oomph!. Essentially, my niche music tastes make me really into German metal, with me being pretty much perpetually obsessed with Rammstein. And Oomph is another similar band I sometimes listen to. However, Dero Goi has recently left (or was potentially kicked out) of the band. This has to do with his crazy right wing beliefs, and the fact that he recently converted to Christianity and now sees his former music as "demonic." This isn't the first time this guy has faced controversy. I remember a few years ago he was criticized for posting some crazy alt right stuff on social media and was forced to apologize. It did kind of hurt my opinion of the band, as listening to German metal already has a weird irrational obsession with nazism in some peoples' minds because hurr durr loud german guys screaming, must be nazis. But this guy was essentially like alt right, which is nazi lite. And a couple songs on their album ritual did have some questionable themes on them in my opinion (although my understanding of german is limited so I could be misinterpreting the intent of the music). 

Well, now this guy was baptized into christianity, and from there, he devolved into full on craziness. Claiming his music was demonic, pushing anti vax conspiracies, supporting the AFD (alt right political party I discussed recently), etc. And I really just have to say, as someone who became spiritual a couple of years ago, thank GOD I did not go down this crazy path. If anything I feel saved from it. And, idk, I just wanted to talk about this. 

It disturbs me a lot to see people who convert and then go down crazy rabbit holes like this. Like, they claim that mainstream people, or spiritual people are often demonic, but really, which one of us is pushing conspiracies? Which one of us is pushing anti vax garbage? Which one of us is actively making the world a worse place? if I was still an atheist, this would've solidified me as being antitheist, once again, because it seems like religion poisons everything.

But now, idk. I mean, on the one hand, everyone has their own spiritual path. But I seriously have to look at the fruits this guy's spiritual journey is bearing and if anyone is possessed by demons (something I don't think actually happens), it's probably him. I mean, i get it, he made a lot of dark music as a catharsis of past abuse and other stuff, but take it from a fan, dark music does have spiritual meaning and is helpful to listeners. Heck, the reason I'm writing this is because I am a rammstein fan (competitor band), and I actually do ascribe some spiritual meaning to a few of their songs due to stuff going on in my life at the time. I've had several synchronistic events associated with their music, and quite frankly, it's helped me through some dark crap. Now, is that stuff really demonic? No. Even dark stuff can be spiritual in a positive way. And talking to other fans of german metal, I know many other people who have been helped by this stuff. A lot of the die hard fans of these kinds of bands love that music BECAUSE it got them through some dark crap. So, honestly, I have more respect for the old Dero, the Dero that gave us "labyrinth" and "god is a popstar" than this new dero, who became another far right religious nutter who is making the world an actively worse place. I mean, this guy is ruining his career. I know it's none of my business, but he is. He's alienating all the people he worked with, and is burning tons of bridges.

Whatever, maybe I shouldn't be saying this, we all have our path right? But I really have to wonder, when someone devolves this far, if it actually is a healthy spiritual awakening that raises their awareness and level of consciousness, or if it's making them worse. Again, I don't know what's going on internally so I cant say. In my own experience, I tend to approach spirituality with a grain of salt. I would still be an atheist if I did not experience some really weird synchronistic crap that just happened to get past my filter and can't deny as being significant. But, that's the thing. I tend to stick to my rational mindset to a fault, and it takes a lot to move me or change my mind on that stuff. Specifically because if you DON'T do that, you might end up going down the same path Dero is taking. And that is, in my opinion, fundamentally dangerous. 

Anyway, I guess that's all I have to say. I just felt like reflecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment