Sunday, October 24, 2021

Ripping the band aid off: why immigrants should learn English

 So, as you guys know, I've been distancing myself a bit from the democratic party and wokeism as of late. I've never been one for wokeness. I'm an ex conservative who developed mostly left views since 2011-2012ish, but I still occasionally retain conservative views on such subjects. I don't see it as that big of a deal for the most part as I'm what, left of center 80-90% of the time, but there are some issues where I still have relatively conservative views. Immigration being one of them. I've discussed my main immigration stance lately, and I generally consider myself center, for left wing economic reasons. Sometimes I side with the right, sometimes with the left. However, one axe I have to grind on the subject is language, and this is a point where I'm actually pretty conservative.

Here's the thing. I was born here, in this country. It's a predominantly English speaking country. But, around 41 million people do speak Spanish, and smaller numbers of people speak other languages. Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with this, except for the fact that when you have multiple languages, people need to either learn one language, or multiple, to be able to speak to each other. And this is complicated and confusing. Being an English speaker in a predominantly English speaking country, I believe people should learn English. It's easier for everyone. And it kind of fits my own approach toward immigration. If you're going to move to another country, you should conform to the extent that you do not burden those who were born there

But of course, to much of the left, that's "racist". You can't expect immigrants to learn English. No, but you wanna know what we can do? Make everyone in the country who is native there be bilingual. And this is kind of what pisses me off about the wokies on this specific subject. I was born here, I didn't ask people to come live here. Why should I have to learn Spanish in order to communicate with immigrants? Why should my job prospects suffer because I have to interact with a spanish speaking customer base? Why can't those people learn English?

That's one of the many double standards within SJW logic, but it's one that pisses me off. These guys would rather burden like 280 million English speakers to learn a second language, rather than just forcing the minority to learn English. And we have had these situations before. With the Irish, the Italians, the Chinese, etc. The first generation struggles to conform, often forming their own communities as a result (see Chinatown or Little Italy), before the second generation being raised here learns English and becomes more full fledged American. And that's fine, I have nothing against that. I'm not trying to be an actually racist jerk here, I know how it works. BUT, that's the thing, previous generations never gave these guys any slack. We always expected immigrants to learn English, and if the first generation didn't do so the second generation did. We didn't accommodate immigrants in a way that burdens those who are here. That's literally my biggest rule when it comes to immigration. Don't burden those who are here. Essentially, immigrants should get more limited forms of social services or none at all, and they should learn English. Otherwise, I largely don't care. Trumpers will wanna mass deport people, which I think is xenophobic and inhumane, while I just want to address the logistical elephants in the room. 

 My opinion is, if you want to come here, you should conform well enough that you don't burden or inconvenience the natives. Really, I don't think "you should learn the primary language to a country you decide to live in" is really an unreasonable expectation. Wokies will make a big deal about it given their ideology, but that's kind of why I don't like their ideology. In an academic context, we could discuss how not knowing the primary language is a barrier to success and blah blah blah, but when the rubber meets the road, is it really reasonable to just demand everyone else shoulders the burden to make up for that? SJWs would say yes. And that's precisely why I cannot stand them. Because that's what their entire ideology is. Expecting privileged people to suffer because others have it worse. Whereas my ideology is generally...what it is toward immigrants and with everyone else, i'm like, if these ideas help the majority of people then that's a good thing. It's like the whole cookie analogy again. Sure, the dude hoarding the cookies will tell the dude with one cookie an immigrant is taking his cookie, but the problem is the SJWs will scream at the dude with one cookie that he should just give it up. It doesn't make the world better or address the real issues, it just causes a ton of pointless infighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment