Friday, October 22, 2021

Quick note on Yang's "moderate" direction

 So, Yang had a podcast today in which he addressed his "moderate" framing of the party. Since this was a constant criticism of  mine about him, I felt it was appropriate to address. And it seems Yang and I are on the same page. He mentioned his platform is aggressive as fudge. UBI? Healthcare? Ranked choice voting? These are radical progressive changes. Yang is actually progressive as fudge. BUT, he adopts moderate framing because he wants to get out of the tribalism we're in. Which I can get behind. The fact is, people ARE too tribalistic. Everyone is partisan. And while I can get fairly entrenched in my own ideological views, i dont feel loyalty to any group. Not to the democrats, not to the Bernie Bros, and not even to the Yang Gang. Tribalism is cancer, and I hate supporting a side for the sake of supporting a side. This is not to say that I am directionless. I have very strong ideological convictions. And I will support those who see things my way. But I hate how everything in politics is about tribalism. I wish politics was more about ideas and less about supporting a team. And I hate how everything is about identity over policy. Even Yang, in addressing the subject, seemed uncomfortable with a braindead "enlightened centrist" position on things, where we adopt moderate positions for moderation's sake. I feel like that's what the centrist wing of the democratic party does. And it sucks. 

That said I'm with Yang here. Let's be progressive as fudge on our ideas, without being entrenched in the tribalistic "my team is better than your team" thing. I see where Yang is coming from and that's why my thought process over the past year has made me so in favor of his party. I'm just sick of the rest of the spectrum, and their purity tests, and their focus on identity, and supporting the tribe over ideas. So yeah, let's get UBI, M4A, and change the political system to not be controlled by entrenched interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment