Thursday, October 7, 2021

Where I don't agree with Yang's new project

 So, I've given a lot of praise to Yang as of late, with his new forward party, being a pro UBI guy disaffected with the current system, but when I really look at and think about things, and listen to podcasts with him explaining his views, I really feel like I have to write this post too. I have to disagree with Yang, sometimes fundamentally. Because let's face it, while I like him a lot, he's not perfect, and I'm going to disagree with him on things.

All in all, I would say the primary disagreement comes down to approach to politics. Yang's new party focuses too much on being conciliatory to the whole political system. He thinks his reforms would make America less polarized, and more moderate, and I really don't see things that way. The problem isn't one of polarization in terms of values. It's polarization in terms of partisan affiliation. I totally support breaking up the two parties. but I wanna break them up not so we get moderation and meet people half way, but because I wanna be able to do my own thing, and screw everyone else. Ultimately, I think that a lot of good ideas are blocked, because we have to choose between two bad options. I want more options. I want to be able to vote my conscience and have a chance of my views becoming reality. I don't care about polarization all that much. To some extent, polarization is about values. And I don't think yang gets this. Even his human centered capitalism and UBI, those are values. People dont support you, Yang, because of your values. People dislike you, because of your values. And I do like you, because of your values. You gotta stand for something, if you wanna make progress, and sometimes taking a stand means turning people off. I don't want more moderation and conciliation. if I did Id still be a democrat. Because that's what they talk about all day. I am extreme in my values, but that doesn't mean im extreme on the spectrum. What I want is to make the spectrum of american opinion larger, where people can vote for libertarians, or greens, or forward type candidates, and get somewhere. I dont want to be stuck with two big parties who don't give a crap about what I stand for.

That said, to go into point 2, as we've seen when I looked at policy, his party is light on it. Outside of UBI and human centered capitalism, he barely has any relevant policy to fixing the economic system. Okay, dude, you realize most of us support you because of your UBI advocacy right? Again, that's a value. You represent values no other candidates do. Thats why I like you. But you know what I also like? Healthcare. Free college and student loan forgiveness. Climate change solutions. All the political reform and democracy dollars is all well and good, but I kind of wish Yang was more true to his values, and fleshed his campaign out based on his 2020 campaign. I admit I injected a couple of my own points in there, but outside of the free college thing yang had planks for all of those things. And they were good policies. And again, I can't help but keep mention it, but what happened to healthcare being up there with UBI and HCC? I get it, yang, trying to appeal to moderates, and independents, and even republicans, doesn't want to take a side, because that could cost him support. But again, sometimes things are worth taking a stand on, even if it loses you support. I really don't think yang understands the basic reality regarding how core values are important in politics. Why should I be civil and friendly to someone who essentially wants me to work for peanuts in horrid labor conditions or die, for example? Or someone who is fine with me not having healthcare? He's naive sometimes. Again, I kind of get it, he's trying to focus more on reforming the political system while preserving some aspects of UBI advocacy, and his core reforms are good. But he's lacking in so many other areas right now. 

And again, the final point ties into this too. Yang doesnt want to rock the boat. Dude, the big parties are gonna ignore you if you DON'T try to piss them off. With me, I am a big advocate for splitting the vote, and I know a lot of democrats in particular will scream at me about that, but you know what? Bite me, I told you what I want, you can either deliver on it or lose my vote. But Yang refuses to play the system that way. he doesn't want to upset people, and he wants to sing kumbaya with everyone, and in doing so, he gives away his own power and reduces his effectiveness. This is just another lukewarm advocacy group, not a true third party. 

All in all, Yang, like always, has a lot of great ideas and is overall a breath of fresh air, but once again, the dude is trying to be too nice. He's too afraid to push for things, because he's afraid of stepping on peoples' toes, and I'm the kind of guy who just doesnt care and is willing to stand for more than the minimum, and who isn't really into reconciling with those with fundamentally different values. After all, if I was into reconciling with different values, I would be voting for the democrats still, and their big tent nonsense. I don't want that. 

Andrew, I love the fact that you broke away from the democrats. Your values are so much better than theirs are. I support you, specifically because of this. I support your UBI advocacy. I support human centered capitalism. I support ranked choice voting and open primaries. But, what's the point in doing these things if you're just going to constrain your advocacy by trying to please everyone? You have values, and a good set of them. You don't fit in the democratic party. You definitely dont fit in the republican party. You are an independent. A bit closer to the left than the right given how the right basically will wave a cross in your face at the idea of getting free money from the government, but still, you said it yourself in your interview on the realignment podcast, the democrats are institutionalist, and you want to reform institutions.

The fact is, if you want to get anything done, I believe you'll need to put actual pressure on people, and play hardball. if I have anything against you, it's that you're unwilling to do this. You're too soft, and you're too nice. And yes, I know Andrew yang PROBABLY won't read this, but I still feel the need to talk as if he would anyway. 

The fact is, anything worth fighting for is gonna be unpopular. And that's why I'm done with the two parties. If you're gonna take on the entire political system, no need to be nice about it. Use every tool you have available and go for the throat, and never compromise on your core values and vision. As Ive said before there is a lot I will compromise on, but normally it's lesser priorities. On my big ideas, I almost never will. And I'm fine with that. If you have values, and you view alternative perspectives as opposed to yours and not good, then why should you basically compromise with evil? Just how I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment