Sunday, March 19, 2023

Yang refusing to discuss UBI on Bill Maher's show

 So, Andrew Yang ended up discussing various topics on Bill Maher's show the other night, and at one point, about half way in somewhere, Maher pushed Yang on UBI and why is he no longer for it. Yang seemed to largely be avoiding the topic. He would go on about the failures of the system, and how he moved the needle with cash relief, and he seemed to be choosing his words carefully, trying to explicitly NOT endorse UBI any more. While Yang has said in previous podcasts if he were running for president himself, he would be for UBI, but here he's just...avoiding the topic, going on about how he shifted the conversation, patting himself on the back over CONDITIONAL, LIMITED cash relief like the CTC, but seemed to not support UBI any more.

I found this disappointing. I mean, it seems clear yang still seems fairly progressive based on how he behaved on this show, but....he seemed to be leaning all into democracy reform while abandoning UBI. Idk if he's doing this not to alienate his new friends in forward, but I find it disappointing. As a UBI first advocate, I'm alienated by this. Yang is alienating me.

It really disappoints me how far this guy has fallen. My ideas were, at one point, very much aligned with Yang. And given how I've shifted since 2020, I'm even more aligned with his "lane" of politics and shifted away from the more popular Sanders lane that Williamson is trying to fill. Even if I still support williamson, it's really due to a lack of better options. I want to make that clear. I'd LOVE a Yang style candidate to come out of the woodwork at some point. But it would have to be OG 2020 yang, not this new forward yang. Really. Maher is right. if you're gonna push a third party, you should push for issues that matter. I have no issues with yang EXPANDING his platform to include democracy reform. if anything, I welcome it. It makes his movement stronger. BUT...if he then abandons his 2020 stuff to become a circlejerk of uselessness so bad it makes me rethink whether HRC and Biden are really that bad after all, yeah, that's a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment