Saturday, January 27, 2024

Fetterman shows anti war protesters the door

 So, people decided to protest John Fetterman outside of his home here in PA, and Fetterman decided to show them the door. He started waving an israeli flag around, which is pissing off some progressives, who are promising never to vote for him again. 

I have mixed feelings about this. To get the negative out of the way, I don't know if essentially giving your supporters a middle finger is a good idea, the kind of left that's willing to protest like this IS perfectly willing to drop you and not vote for you, and this might actually cost him reelection given his narrow vote margins in 2022.

At the same time...I LOVE THIS! I'm going to be honest, I'm kinda neutral on the conflict at this point, if I HAD to choose, I'd choose israel, but I recognize israel is doing some shady stuff that I dont agree with, but I'm not gonna get on my high horse and protest democrats like children over this. These people are rude, they're uncivil, they're self righteous, and you give them an inch and they'll take a mile. They give people who protest the left a bad name. They remind me of the people who protested LBJ in vietnam. And I believe they kind of recognize a similar 1968 moment for the democrats if we're not careful. Republicans pounced with their silent majority rhetoric and we ended up with nixon, and eventually reagan. 

I do believe it is the right of every american to protest their leaders, I dont believe anyone owes any politician a vote, and I personally have exercised these powers before too. However, this ain't it, fam. No one really cares. The majority of the left (myself included) is not with you, and if anything it incenses me that THIS is the issue that the left goes so bugnuts on. Seriously, you wouldnt even get this self righteous over a UBI, or medicare for all, or a green new deal, why do it on this? 

And, as you can tell, with my last few days of posts, I've had it with these people. I'm tired of the toxicity, the self righteousness, the constant neverending protests that dont amount to anything. They're not helping their case. They're turning most against the left.

And honestly, this is why I like Fetterman's creative approach to dealing with them. I'm not sure how this will play out for him electorally as what he did essentially amounts to a giant middle finger to the left, but in my opinion, this is what I believe needs to be done sometimes. At some point the democrats needs to say "hey, look, we see you, we hear you, we don't care, kindly screw off, have a nice life." And let the pieces fall where they may.

If the article above implies anything, it's that this behavior is actually winning over some conservatives. Because let's face it, conservatives hate those kinds of people too, and they also like the owning the libs mentality, so they are eating this up like crazy.

And in order to avoid another 1968 moment long term, let me say this. These guys do not represent the majority of the left. They dont represent a majority of democrats, or even left leaners at large. They are a small vocal minority. When they had their opportunity to protest vote in new hampshire, a resounding 1.2% wrote that in. They only got 500 more votes than shoe on head. And that is about how seriously as anyone should take them.

Seriously, most democrats seem to be behind president Biden on this, regardless of their views on the issue. Biden won around 70% of the vote in New Hampshire, with Dean Phillips being the most significant challenger at 20%, and Marianne Williamson getting 4-5%. 

That's the reality of the left. Are there more independent lefties not counted here? Sure, including a lot of leftists, but they're not likely to shift elections in a meaningful way because they dont organize properly anyway. So who cares?

When progressives do lean left, they're more likely to do so on domestic policy, like economics or social issues. i do believe a lot of progressive ideas like a $15 minimum wage, and universal healthcare, and paid parental leave are majority positions. Even positions like UBI, single payer, free college, etc., are likely held by significant minorities of voters, like say, 40-45%. 

 This crap caps out at 30% tops, and the people actually running around being toxic about it are around 1-2%. No one should care about them. Other than discussions like this, they should largely be ignored. And I actually do advise the democrats to ignore these people this time. They're such a significant minority that they're more likely to lead to democrats LOSING voters than gaining them. Because if they cave to these guys they're gonna alienate far more normies. 

And that's the thing with me. Sometimes, I'm going to side with the left, and sometimes I'm going to side with the center.  It depends on what the issue is, how I feel about it, and in cases like this, what does the actual polling say. I like to pick my battles, and as I said already, this ain;t it fam. If anything, I'm throwing my lot in with fetterman and waving israeli flags around just to piss people off (to be fair i would not go that far myself as i dont endorse israel either, i just find the idea of doing so funny).

No comments:

Post a Comment