Sunday, January 21, 2024

Measuring Donald Trump and Nikki Haley according to my metric 1

 So, just for completeness, I am going to measure Donald Trump and Nikki Haley according to my metric 1. I was going to do Ron Desantis too but he dropped out so I won't. Im also not doing metric 2 because it's quite obvious that all republican candidates would get 0s so what's the point?

The metric is as follows:

Basic income support - 10

Medicare for all support - 10

Economic policies (other than UBI/M4A) - 10

Social policies - 10

Foreign policy - 10

Worldview/ideology- 20

Consistency/dedication to progressive values- 10

Experience/competence- 10

Isn't a threat to democracy- 10

 Total- 100

Note how I change "isn't a spoiler" to "isn't a threat to democracy", after all the purpose of me opposing spoilers this time is because I believe Donald Trump is a threat to democracy. So let's get to it.

 Donald Trump

Basic income support- 1/10

He supported some cash aid during the pandemic, so I gotta give him ONE point here. 

Medicare for all- 0/10

He obviously doesn't support it

Economic issues- 2/10

Like it or not, he occasionally has points about neoliberalism destroying the lives of many american workers. He also takes slightly more moderate positions than other republicans and does not, for example, want to cut social security. 

Social issues- 1/10

While I think he's too psychotic on the border, I am a moderate on immigration and do believe in some form of border control. Also, despite however he governs, we all know he's likely slightly more moderate on a lot of social issues like abortion and homosexuality, he just doesn't govern like that in practice because of where the republican party is. In a sense, he's being a good statesman toward his constituents here, giving them what they want, rather than his own positions. I can't give him much credit, but again, I kinda see where he's coming from.

Foreign policy- 2/10

I read John Bolton's book on Trump and don't believe he has the ability to govern. he's played too much by dictators and is very volatile at times. he doesn't know what he's doing, he's governed by passions, and needs to be reined in a lot by advisors. Still, on some positions I understand where he's coming from. We do need to be strong to stand up to our enemies. I just, ironically, dont believe he's that guy. Especially on Russia. 

Ideology/Worldview- 3/20

I'm giving him some credit here in a broken clock is right twice a day sense. I mean, again, I understand his populist approach toward the economy, I understand that he's actually relatively moderate (outside of the alt right and insurrectionist crap) by modern republican standards. He's not my cup of tea but to act like I'm diametrically opposed to him on everything is just...no. 

Consistency/dedication to progressive values- 0/10

Dude ain't a progressive

Experience/competence- 3/10

He has experience, having been president once, but no competence at all. Dude's a total idiot.Still given he's been president I can't give him ZERO points. 

Isn't a threat to democracy- 0/10

This is the dude who incited insurrection on Janaury 6th, F this guy. 

Total- 12/100

I mean, I'm trying to be fair. We do have SOME points of agreement, but I still hate this guy with a passion and I think 12/100 is fair. Keep in mind that is a full on F by any standards. 

Nikki Haley

Basic income support- 0/10

I mean it's the GOP, do you honestly think she supports UBI? LMFAO.

Medicare for all support- 0/10

Ditto

Economic issues- 0/10

I mean she wants to cut social security and she's your typical republican. 

Social issues- 3/10

She's sometimes surprisingly moderate on stuff like LGBT+ issues. She's also given mixed signals on an abortion ban which, given this is the republican party, is a good sign. Still, she is for voter ID stuff and has talked about banning social media before so idk how much credit to give her.

Foreign policy- 7/10

She's pro Ukraine/tough on russia and also very pro Israel. She also is very qualified on foreign policy. Maybe a bit too hawkish for me, but I still kinda like her. I'd take her over a leftist on this issue.

Ideology/worldview- 4/20 

Much like with trump there is a bit of a broken clock right twice a day thing. We likely agree on foreign policy. We have some slight agreement on social issues, but otherwise, we don't see eye to eye on a lot. 

Consistency/dedication to progressive values- 0/10

Not a progressive

 Experience/competence- 8/10

She's highly experienced as a UN ambassador and very qualified on foreign policy. One of the better options in terms of raw credentials.

Not a threat to democracy- 6/10

Eh, voter ID laws raise eyebrows but she's not an insurrection inciter at least. This is just normal republican screwery and not insane stuff.

Overall- 28/100

At this point she's the sane republican option. She's a rather moderate republican on social issues, on foreign policy she's pretty qualified. Economically she's garbage though but still. I wouldn't vote for anyone on the republican side, but she kinda represents that lane of moderate republicans that don't really exist any more. The kinds that I liked as a teenager, but that the world has moved on from toward something darker. 

Warmness ratings

Donald Trump- 10/100

Nikki Haley- 25/100

Neither are great but this tracks with their scores overall. Much lower than most independents and democrats, but that's to be expected. My ideology is basically anti these guys so it's no surprise that they score low. Quite frankly it's surprising that they scored as well as they did, especially Haley. But given how when the shoe is on the other foot good candidates only score in the 70s, I guess it makes sense. THe best candidates arent perfect, the worst arent totally evil for the most part. Kinda like the whole yin and yang thing where you have a dot of black in the white and a dot of white in the black. That's totally fair I guess. But yeah, that's how I think of the two remaining republicans worth talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment