Saturday, May 15, 2021

The political compass of social justice politics

 So, I just realized a huge reason I don't get along with SJWs, I'm arguably on a different part of the political compass than them. 

Imagine the political compass with two dimensions. Left/right is your typical left/right spectum. But the auth/lib spectrum can be replaced with a spectrum on attitudes of free speech and censorship. Say the further up you go the more willing you are to censor people, while the further down you go, you would get more supportive of free speech. 

It would look something like this.

To unpack how this works in practice, I labeled the major groups that occupy each of the quadrants.

Due to my background with the "new atheist" community, I identify as a free thinker. This is a reaction to my previous fundamentalist Christian views. When I was a teenager, I was very much not big on offense and did not like the left attacking ideas I did not like. I don't think I ever believed it should be ILLEGAL, but I did believe it should be discouraged. 

But, when I became an atheist, I flipped the other way, I became extremely irreverent, and much like r/atheism, I defended people posting extremely offensive and edgy things in order to trigger the religious, in hopes it would cause people to think. I considered myself a "free thinker", believing "no gods, no masters", and that all ideas must be questioned. By the way, don't think that because I'm spiritual here that I don't still have this mentality, I totally do. And that's also why I tend to not get along with the censor people happy on the left.

As I've discussed previously, SJWs come off to me as the fundies of the left. Much like Christians, they like to impose their morality on others, and get offended when people don't respect their views or question them. Often times believing in implicitly censoring the criticizing groups, or "canceling" them. Much like the auth right on this chart likes to punish people who question the American civil religion, or their Christian beliefs, the auth left likes to do this to the alt right.

The alt right is called the alt right because it's an alternate version of right wing views, which acts much like the free thinkers and new atheists do, but instead they're on the right. They like to attack the sacred cows of social justice politics and "trigger the libs". They love to get involved in culture war stuff and offend the other side, who believe everything must be prim and proper. The people in authoritarian categories on this chart tend to get offended by expressions of belief that threaten their ideology in some way, whereas the people in the libertarian categories do the offended.

These categories sometimes have crossover due to the antagonistic nature of politics, that being said some people can both be authoritarian right, not liking people for bashing Christianity or their flag, while holding alt right trigger the libs type mentalities. And there is a crossover between the atheist community and SJWs these days, although some antagonism exists too.

That antagonism is why I don't get along with them. Relative to the other quadrants, I don't get along with SJWs very well because I'm too unapologetically irreverent, and because I tend to dislike censorship. That said people on the left who have irreverent views tend to be confused with alt righters, while I believe the SJWs are way too censorship happy. They'll say "well the right does it too", which they do, I mean, look at what they did to Colin Kapernick, but here's the thing, I've been condemning and calling the right out on this crap for YEARS. And I've kind of prided myself as being above their bullcrap. When people on the left start acting like they do, it embarrasses me, because I'm just like "I didn't leave the right for this."

How do I get along with alt righters? Well, the thing is, I don't really befriend many alt righters. While I believe they have a right to say what they say, I don't really desire to hang around people who spew vile racist stuff constantly. But in a political argument? Yeah, I'll throw down with them. Debates go one of two ways, either we'll trigger each other until one of us gets tired of it, or we end up actually having a productive conversation and respecting each other as the alt righties will realize that I'm not like other left wingers, I crap on them too, and that I'd actually have a productive debate. We never see eye to eye, but there have been those few moments where an alt righter looked like he was so close to understanding privilege they were literally like 99% of the way there. Normally those discussions end up antagonistic though, and if anything, some censor happy moron will break up the debate, or we'll just get tired of it. 

I think this actually explains the whole thing. Like from a political theory standpoint. I just explained my disdain with the social justice left in one chart, while positioning myself as separate from the right. I'm on the left, I'm just irreverent as fudge and like free speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment