Saturday, April 22, 2023

I don't get the appeal of Robert F Kennedy's presidential run

 So, in all fairness of discussing various democratic presidential candidates, I might as well include the third guy running, Robert F. Kennedy Jr.  He actually has 14% of the vote, vs Williamson's 5%. 

And I just don't get it. he's my third choice in the democratic primary by a long shot. Out of three. He's worse than Biden. And yes, he's part of THAT Kennedy family. I honestly dont know why the Kennedys are so popular, or ever were so popular. JFK is one of the worst post WWII presidents ever on the democratic side IMO. I mean, the dude gave niche speeches that caused the craplibs to go wild I guess, but when I think JFK, I think Cuban Missile Crisis, and cheating on his wife. I mean, that's what the dude is known for. I mean, really, what did the dude do? What should he be praised for? His VP, LBJ did FAR more in practice, and is at least worth praising. JFK though? Meh.

But yet, this is another political dynasty that just keeps coming back and not going away. Thankfully, this dynasty is older than the Clintons and Bushes, and less relevant in the modern era. This guy seems known for...conspiracy theories and anti vax propaganda. Fun! 

Anyway, going on his campaign website, what is he running on? Well, he only has 6 issues. Honest government, reconciliation (healing the divide), clean it up, revitalization, peace, and civil liberties.

Yes, this is as bland and tasteless as it looks. Looking more in detail, he wants to make government agencies more accountable to the American people. He has "clear positions" on social issues, without explaining what they are, and wants to not demonize people he doesn't agree with (so basically he sounds like forward). His "clean it up" priority is emphasizing environmentalism, which aint bad, but it seems kinda barebones, like everything else in his campaign. He talks about poverty, globalization, and healthcare, but just offers platitudes there too. His "peace" priority seems to be mostly "we need to stop spending money on foreign wars and spend it at home", ignoring that ukraine is kinda important right now. On civil liberties he mentioned curtailing big tech's power to censor people, being against COVID era measures to shut down the economy, and ending the war on drugs, so it's kind of a mixed bag. 

Honestly, I'm not impressed. His website is all vagueness. It's as if he's running not on issues, but platitudes. And he;'s running on his family name. Why does he have 14% of the vote? Williamson is far better than this, heck BIDEN is more progressive. Like people wonder why im as lenient on biden as I am, but Biden actually does have some progressive ideas. This guy is just basically like, if forward ran a candidate in the democratic party and it wasn't andrew yang. You know what I'm saying? like, we need MORE centrism and playing nice with others and all of this polarization is just too much. You know? He's running to Biden's right. His campaign is kind of a joke.

Like, if I'm gonna go for a non Biden option, I want an UPGRADE, ya know? Williamson is at least somewhat of an upgrade. Even she's kinda platitude-y compared to say, bernie, but she looks brilliant with her detailed plans vs this guy. Like as much as I criticized the leftist candidates for not having enough policy details, they're still exponentially more detailed than this guy is. I don't get the appeal. As of right now, Williamson > Biden > Kennedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment