Wednesday, April 21, 2021

I don't understand how people are so pro work

 I mean, yeah I kind of do, I know many people seem indoctrinated into the system, and many don't understand how to move toward a post work society, and some actually legitimately like their jobs, but on the whole I don't understand how people are so pro work.

There was an unpopular opinion thread on reddit about a dude who hated work and understood how we are basically slaves. I did not comment on it because I found it from another sub, but many of the comments were...hostile.

Some were well meaning. I'd like to address this block first. Many simply regurgitated standard "old book" ideologies about how we need to work to survive and if we don't work the stuff doesn't get made. I mean, I can get that. I can get not understanding this stuff. Honestly, we've all been there. When I first came across this stuff, I thought it was too good to be true too. I came across the concept of basic income in, I think, 2013-2014, and I was just like...okay, how can this work? Won't everyone quit? How can we pay for it? You know, standard questions. The thing is, I got answers. Even more so, I accepted those answers. Like, here I was, a college grad, struggling to find work, while being disenchanted with the system as a whole, and the system just didn't click with me. It felt so hollow, so fake. I mean, if we all need to work, why are we filling out so many applications for jobs that aren't there? And is the best solution just...creating more jobs? Again, it felt hollow, fake. The expectations of society say one thing, the reality says another thing. Typical anomie. And from there, i ultimately conquered my biggest issue with the idea of a UBI, which was the cost...by....designing my own UBI plans. You see, I graduated from college with a political science/criminology degree, and from grad school with a "community leadership" degree. My capstone project in grad school was designing a local ordinance on steep slopes, so, I have SOME public policy experience. Wouldn't consider myself an expert, I never had a formal job in it, but I quickly drew my talents toward UBI once I started coming across this stuff and asking questions. And that's why I spend so much time on UBI plans on here. I believe that the cost issue can be conquered and spend enormous amounts of time looking into how it works and how to get there. So, that said, take it from me, it can work. I've done the research. I've done the math. I am a believer. 

For anyone who simply accepts work as a reality that cannot be solved or conquered, the facts are out there, if only you look into them. You can read my musings on this blog. I know it's a bit all over the place, this is a fairly informal environment with posts ranging from random off the cuff musings to deeply researched pieces of work. You can read books on the subject. You can check out subreddits like r/antiwork and r/basicincome. You can check youtube channels. My ideas can work. I cannot guarantee there won't be some  unforeseen consequences, there are people who are more educated than I on many of these subjects, but I do believe that we could at the very least adapt my ideas into some workable form and at least start shifting things a certain way.

So, I get ignorance. These ideas are complex, require a lot of research that many people haven't done, and most are ironically, too busy working and just trying to survive to do that kind of deep research. That's the thing about society. it functions like a cult. And what do cults do? They keep people busy so you don't question their doctrines. 

But what I don't understand (outside of an aspect of that brainwashing, I'm talking more on a personal level) is how hostile people are to the very idea of being anti work. In the unpopular opinion thread I mentioned, many people literally mocked and denigrated the guy for having a moment of self awareness about the system. They upheld its values and its rightness. Basically said stuff like you need to work to survive and you can go ahead and die if you don't want to. I guess a lot of it is ideological indoctrination. Lockean theory remains strong with a lot of people I'm guessing. But still, do people not have any pangs of "gee, I wish we didn't have to do this crap all day"? I mean, are people not even open to the IDEA of doing away with work? I guess that's my biggest issue with mainstream theory. At their core, they are all inherently pro work in some form. There's so much talk of who deserves what, and blah blah blah. The right speaks of Locke's right to property and the fruits of one's own labor, the left speaks of Marx's labor theory of value, social democracy speaks of reciprocity. It's like left, right, or center, no one really questions the idea of work. And that's sad. To me, work is akin to disease. We don't say because Johnny got polio that we all have to have polio or else it wouldn't be fair. We say "oh gosh polio is awful, here's a vaccine." We understand that disease is bad. We have scientists trying to cure diseases. And I admit, capitalism can pervert that too I guess, many seem more intent on disease management than curing people, but at the same time, we largely see it's bad. We see, "oh gee, it being hot in the summer and cold in the winter arent comfortable, let's make machine that control the weather on a micro level for our homes." And I guess we do understand the idea of saving on work. We make washing machines and dryers, dishwashers, we have grocery stores that bring food to us from all over the world through complex supply chains. All of this is to apparently save on labor. But then we still expect people to work to enjoy the fruits of these things because we're stuck on these dated ideologies. We're literally making up stuff for people to do, to justify keeping the system going. And we're sucking at it and running out, hence my aforementioned struggles with the job market. But we just never question the idea of making people work at all. It baffles me. What's the point of all of this progress, and convenience, and labor saving technology...if we spend our days doing labor anyway? Does anyone else not see how screwed up that is? 

I don't understand why more people don't hate getting up and going to work for 40 or more hours a week. That's a lot of time. That's your life. Yet so much of it is dominated by the time clock. Why is this not questioned? Why are we still working the same 40 hour weeks as in the 1930s, or more? Why do we not, like the people who made the 40 hour week in the first place, not shrink it even more as technology progresses? Why are people not outraged by the insanity of this human condition?! I don't get people. This is ridiculous. I hate earth. It's a horrible home. People are stupid. They love having robots to do their jobs, but they don't create a system of universal income so they can have money after the robots take their jobs. It makes no sense. Random plug for Solar Opposites aside, really, I don't get it. I kind of look at this planet like an alien like Corvo from that show would, and I don't get it either. There are so many inherent contradictions in our system, but no one seems to question them. I really have to wonder if we're all in a cult. We're wasting our lives. And the best logical argument I can come up with other than sheer ignorance for alternatives is that people are so invested in the system that they dont want to admit to themselves they're wasting and have wasted decades of their life for nothing so they just make everyone have to do it to make themselves feel better. I really don't get it otherwise.

When I was a kid, I dreamed of summer. I looked forward all year to those three months where I could live in my terms. I got up when I wanted, did what I wanted, and slept when i wanted. Those were the days. I dont think many kids actually liked school in retrospect. I guess it's the same with a job. But we're adults now, why not at least have a small inkling of wanting to not waste our lives?

I guess I ranted enough, but I really don't get people.

No comments:

Post a Comment