Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Ripping Biden on vaccines

 Okay, so Biden gave speech today announcing vaccine availability for everyone on April 19th. I feel like I have to ask...is he nuts?!

I get it. Biden is trying to create a legacy. He's trying to get America back to normal as fast as possible and he wants to be the guy who gets the virus under control, given Trump did such an awful job at doing so. However, Biden tends to be way too optimistic sometimes, and this is why I am ripping him on this.

So, full disclosure, my parents got the vaccine already, and I got my first dose and will get my second at the end of the month. I can tell, you the process of getting a vaccine is NOT easy. There are MASSIVE shortages, and anyone who is vulnerable who wants one is having trouble getting one. For months, I spent every day going online looking for places to actually give them out, and they weren't available anywhere. Mainly because last time Biden had one of these overly optimistic pushes for vaccines, he decided to expand eligibility requirements too early, and there wasn't enough stock for them at all. 

My parents got lucky because our family doctor had shots. And then I didn't get one until last week, when a local hospital FINALLY got some supply. I got the email for it and got on RIGHT AWAY to get it, as I was on their waiting list for close to 6-8 weeks. 

But that's how it goes. Availability opens up, and you either get in line in the first 5-10 minutes or it's gone. Every day, I would try local drug stores, but apparently they only got 100-200 doses a week...in a county of 400,000+. So say 10 drug stores in the county at 200 a week, that's 2,000 doses a week, that's enough to vaccinate everyone...in 200 weeks or close to four years. Admittedly occasionally there will be a "mass vaccination site" that might have more, maybe a few thousand, but again, given how insane the demand is for vaccines right now, we can't even ensure accessibility for those who need it. I mean these are with the requirements only open to those with "preexisting conditions" that make one more vulnerable to die from the disease, and while one of those preexisting conditions is admittedly obesity, which applies to roughly 40% of the population, it's just so hard to get a vaccine. And now they wanna open it up to everyone early? Recreating the same problem, dude.

Biden is trying to be the calming voice to the American public I guess. But so did Trump. He was so calming about the pandemic he downplayed the fact that it was happening in the first place, and that's why we're in the situation that we're in, because half the country refuses to take it seriously, even now. Now, why don't I talk about Trump on here? Because Trump ain't worth my time. He's a freaking idiot, and everyone should know it, and we should just expect anything he did to actually be bad, because that's how bad he is. That and I didn't really post about much of anything in 2020 but election coverage.

But I kind of expect more from Biden. Biden is a democrat, he's a believer in science, and he's actually worth talking about and critiquing. And Biden is being overly optimistic about this. Yes, vaccinations are happening, but I'm under the impression we likely won't have everyone vaccinated until like, next August/September at the current rate.

Which is another thing Biden is annoying me about with COVID. Biden is trying to open schools, despite kids not being vaccinated for COVID. WHY?! Really. I don't get it. I kinda do, but it's conservative logic. We gotta get everyone back to work despite it not being safe, people can't go to work if they have to take care of their kids at home, the school system functions as a glorified day care for people, because our whole social structure revolves around work.

Ya know, I could just rip into how our entire social structure revolves around work here and how this is yet another thing wrong with America and how COVID has caused capitalism to have cascading failures in every aspect of society because our society doesn't know how to be idle, but I won't go into another rant here.

Let's instead focus on how this is COMPLETELY UNSAFE. Seriously, you want kids, who often have no discipline and self control, to congregate in small packed rooms for 6-8 hours a day, while there's still a global pandemic going on!? Are you nuts?!

Why can't we wait until next year? School year starts in August/September. America should be mostly vaccinated by then hopefully. Why push it now? When I was in school, I'd start counting down the days until summer in April. You're only 2 months away. Just let the kids finish off the school year online and pick it up in the fall. We will all be a lot safer for it.

I expect this kind of stupidity from republicans, but my standards are higher from democrats, and Biden is kind of screwing up on that front. Both republicans and democrats are trying to force opening too quickly, to get back to "normal", largely for economic reasons. It's just a matter of degree. I guess that's the nature of the two party system though. Both suck and do bad things, the democrats just in a less obviously bad way than republicans.

No comments:

Post a Comment