Sunday, July 26, 2026

Centrists don't seem interested in change, they'd rather red scare

 So...continuing the line of thought from yesterday, and having several arguments with more centrist democrats, I'm honestly convinced that the centrist wing of the democratic party is spreading this moral panic about the DSA not because they fear tankies or the rise of illiberalism, but because they are just on their centrist bull#### like always.

These guys dont want any change. They're trying the tea party to MAGA, and suggesting any left populist takeover is akin to what happened in the republican party. They're opposed to ANY left populist movement, whether it be social democratic or socialist in nature.

I mean, if you're opposed to literal socialism, fine. As I said, I ain't big on socialism either, but again, we need to do something. The centrist wing of the democratic party needs to lose its power already. It is worthless, it doesnt stand for anything, it doesnt fight for anything, it's satisfied by the most mild of reforms, and then it turns around and lectures us about the virtues of incrementalism and ignorant takes of history that shows how little they know about anything. it's like they dont understand that the liberalism of the sixth party system is literally designed to be more timid and compromising than liberalism used to be. 

Again, people like David Pakman and his supporters call themselves social democrats, but they're literally just third way dems. They're a particularly ineffective brand of liberal that doesnt stand for anything doesnt fight for anything, and ultimately shares more moral common ground with the right than with the progressive left. And they seem to treat actual socdems (like me) and tankies the same, believing we're the same when we're not. Some of us do wanna continue capitalism, we just understand how crappy the system is and how it has to be reformed. The centrists dont wanna hear this, they think doing the bare minimum is fine and seem to hate people for daring have standards at all. And they seem to think everyone left of them is some sort of Mao loving tankie or some crap. WE'RE NOT! I just have the same fire as a 1930s democrat. Ya know, the generation of democrats that actually fought for something. And I understand, much like FDR in his time, that the democrats cant survive centrism any longer. 

Really, what I'm ripping on is a brand of "do nothing" democrat that has way too much power, and does nothing with it but fights those who actually wanna use it. Because at the end of the day, that side of the party stands for big money and literally IS ideologically aligned with the republican party of yesteryear to the point they'd rather cater to Bush/McCain/Romney voters than people on their own "side." 

 The fact is, they HATE the progressive left and wanna ensure we never get power, and now that DSA types are taking power, they're red scaring along with the right, acting like us winning is the end of the world and will bring us down a path of left wing fascism.

Again, I dont deny that the most extreme members and elements of the DSA as a movement is literally tankies, but DSA also includes the likes of Bernie Sanders, and AOC, who are just, as far as im concerned, New Deal democrats, or social democrats. And that's what I want, barring my own ideological wrinkled centered around UBI. I want democrats who fight for solutions. And Im not purity testy enough to believe it has to be exactly my solutions. I'll vote for any close ideological siblings or cousins here. It beats voting for establishment craplibs and republicans. 

But that's the thing, if the centrists had their way, they'd continue a duopoly where the progressive left is just tarred and feathered as communists while they continue making nice with the GOP. Which is why they seem to be teaming up with the GOP in fear mongering over DSA candidates winning, even though most of them are just running on social democratic policies.

Again, if we wanna crap on the most left wing ones for the most left wing policies go for it. I certainly dont agree with every aspect of the DSA's platform, as I recently discussed. But again, when they're the only ones DOING ANYTHING, yeah, people are gonna support them. And for all the talk of liberals doing better and having their own answer to the DSA, it seems like they're totally uninterested in doing that, which is what's driving DSA support in the first place. Again, if these guys are so afraid about radicalism and communism and illiberalism, then they should take the most popular DSA policies compatible with liberal democracy and capitalism and implement them. It's not that hard. But they dont do that. They scream about Hasan Piker and tankies, while calling ANY left populist movement an illiberal threat to the country. The fact is, they just dont wanna lose their power and they wanna play their role of the "jobber" to the republicans to keep the ideological consensus centered around the right. 

With that said, yeah, I'll support DSA candidates as long as they have reasonable policies. Yeah, if they start going full tankie mode we can talk about criticizing them and maybe supporting a more moderate candidate, but as long as the "more moderate" candidate is just a third wayer whose job is to preserve the status quo....yeah, I'm not super interested in them either. 

THe fact is, the idea of an actual social democratic movement with social democratic policies should be a no brainer, but it seems like one side wants watered down centrism, while screaming about communists, and the other side is made up of social democrats...and a couple communists here and there. Generally speaking, I'm gonna vote for whomever supports social democratic policies, and isn't completely insane and unelectable. Mmkay? mmkay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment