So....centrists complaining around El Sayed always make me roll my eyes. OMG I CANT VOTE FOR HIM! HES A SOCIALIST! *repeats deranged crap heard online*
I mean....the dude's a "capitalist", you realize that right? he said as much in his recent debate with haley stevens. He's basically a socdem. Like an actual socdem. Not a third wayer virtue signalling socdem policy but always backing away from it when its time to put up. That's the thing. While, again, there are some tankie types in DSA and we should be wary of them, a lot of those types are just trying to advocate for actual reformist capitalism.
Same with the Israel thing. El Sayed focuses his campaign on M4A, but his second priority is basically opposing Israel. he gets a lot of bad faith accusations of anti semitism for that. I swear a lot of americans see a muslim dude criticizing Israel and they just see OBL or something. It's ACTUALLY racist AF. No, the antisemitism is a bad faith accusation, and as a lot of us have been saying, the more you overuse it the more you diminish its impact to the point of giving cover to literal antisemitism. Same with the tankie problem in DSA. Keep calling socdems communists and suddenly it allows actual communists to infiltrate the movement.
But yeah, if you think El Sayed is SOOOOOO extreme that you cant support him and youd rather support a republican, you probably are closer to the republicans than me. El Sayed aint exactly what I'd do, but he's miles better than stevens, and voting for a republican is just....no. I swear, these guys have views like I had back around 2008ish where I was a liberal/libertarian republican and was willing to vote Clinton but Obama was too extreme for some reason. Same red scare energy here. ANd you know what? Obama didnt usher in socialism, he was actually a rather disappointing and milquetoast lib. El Sayed IS to the left of that, but basically, he's Bernie 2016 lane. Which is basically social democracy, not socialism.
It always amuses me when these centrists freak out in the face of an actual social democrat. Like so many of them do the David Pakman thing of "I want the nordic model" or something but when someone actually represents it, they act like they're a communist. I highly encourage centrist libs to reevaluate what they're actually for if they're looking at supporting Mike Rogers or Susan Collins over someone like Graham Platner/Troy Jackson or Abdul El Sayed. You might find that maybe you're actually just a moderate republican.
No comments:
Post a Comment