Sunday, August 23, 2026

Yikes, maybe don't buy nvidia

 Ok, i totally dont wanna turn this into a hardware blog, but GPU prices have shifted so much like a couple weeks after making a basic GPU buying guide, that now I feel like it's horribly out of date and I have to update it.

So...GPU prices are going haywire. Especially on the nvidia side. like, wtf market? No. Stahp! Anyway. I do wanna provide an update.

I'm not gonna mention the typical ewaste tier stuff at the lower rungs. That's still there, and you can still get it, I wouldnt recommend it unless youre okay NOT playing new games, but yeah, market's gonna market.

The lowest end card for NEW games is the RTX 3050 8 GB. You need an RX 6000 or RTX 2000 series or better for modern games with 8 GB VRAM, and the 3050 is the worst and cheapest one.  So that will be the unit of measurement, not a GT 1030 this time. All prices pulled from here

RTX 3050 8 GB- $260

It's the bare minimum card, but generally not worth the money IMO. Still, it'll get you decent performance in modern games, despite being as dated as it is.

Arc A580- $200 (1.4x 3050)

Technically more powerful and cheaper for $200, but intel cards are iffy on drivers and may not work well with every game. 

 RX 7600- $300 (1.8x 3050)

Yeah the $260 deal dried up. Still, worth $40 over a 3050. Probably wouldn't recommend over the 5050 though.

RX 5050- $300-310 (1.8x 3050)

They have a low profile one for $300, but for a normal sized one, it's $310. I'd probably recommend it over the 7600 since Nvidia is more mature driver and features wise. Still, this is the only video card I'll recommend from them.

Arc B580- $310 (1.9x 3050)

Including because it has more VRAM than the 7600/5050 but keep in mind drivers. 

RX 9060 XT 8 GB- $370 (2.4x 3050)

This is still priced similarly, but the RTX 5060 is now $450 for some reason, NO, JUST NO. Buy this instead. Heck, I'd probably just go down to the 7600 or 5050 since 8 GB is gonna age like milk anyway where all 8 GB cards go obsolete at the same time.  

RX 9060 XT 16 GB- $460 (2.5x 3050)

Even MORE VRAM at a higher price. I removed the 7700 XT recommendation since it's $430 and at that point, just spend a little more for this instead. Would also recommend over the 5060 for the same money, because that's a fricking joke. 5060 ti is also a joke, $480 for 8 GB, and an eye watering $729 for 16 GB. Yeah, DO NOT BUY NVIDIA. You can get this way cheaper.

 RX 9070 GRE- $535 (3.4x 3050)

 Not really the "low end" market any more, but yeah. The RTX 5070 is $800. This is $535. Crazy. 

RX 9070- $630 (3.8x 3050)

Stronger than the $800 Nvidia card.

RX 9070 XT- $720 (4.3x 3050)

Close to a 5070 Ti for less than the price of a 5070. The 5070 Ti is $1050 btw.

Anyway this is the highest end card I can recommend even if you're mr moneybags, otherwise you're throwing away your money. 

Wrapping it up

And yeah, unless you're considering a 5050, don't buy Nvidia. Like, wtf, their crap is so overpriced. It's not that good. This is reminding me of 2022-2023 again before the 4060 launched. I hope AMD isnt about to do the same thing, but yeah, this is horrible. 

For anyone wondering why I "defend" the 9050 (which aint available in the US but is 1.4x 3050 for $280), it's because at least its a serviceable option under $300. Like, I tend to spend around $200-300 and Im happy just to feel included at this point. Even if my 6650 XT is better (1.8x 3050). 

No comments:

Post a Comment