Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Biden administration expands union rights

 So, I see a lot of online spaces talking about this, but apparently the NLRB just made it far easier to unionize, where if the business tries to interfere with the unionization process, the union automatically goes through and the business has to negotiate with unions. This is intended to crack down on union busting. And some are calling it one of the biggest advances in labor rights in the modern era. 

This is good. I think this is a win for the Biden administration, and it's another thing I'll be considering going into 2024. I mean, I may not be a huge fan of democrats, but I do think Biden is doing good things, and do want to be fair to him in that regard. Especially since I don't feel like leftists would necessarily due a better job here. This is true a "dark brandon" moment, and Biden's administration deserves all of the credit for this. 

At the same time, I do want to emphasize that we need to go further. It's not enough to just support unions and regulations and reforming work. Too many liberals, and leftists, tend to lean into this, not wanting to alleviate the core component of what causes people to suffer (coercion to work in the first place) and instead want to focus simply on reforming the relationship between workers and employers, rather than solving the core issue with it. We still need basic income, we still need the right to say no. Unions help, don't get me wrong but most liberalism, and even leftism for that matter is still a band aid.

That said, as far as band aids go, this is a really good one, but like I always do, I'm going to keep my eyes on the prize and call mere reforms for what they are. I'm sorry, but theres more to life than working 40 hours a week doing some union job, I get that under capitalism it's been the best we've had, but we need to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment