Thursday, May 30, 2024

Does the fact that I live in a swing state impact my decision to vote for Biden?

 I saw some discussions on third party voting and some people mentioned they live in a safe state so it's okay to do it. As such, I wanted to address the question that does the fact that I live in a swing state affect my decision to vote for Biden? And in short, yes. It does. Just like, if I lived in a ranked choice voting democracy, I'd likely vote for Stein at this point, I'd also consider such a thing if I lived in a safe state. How would I define a safe state? Well, anything with polling above +12 in either direction. I mean, you could argue even +8 is safe, but idk, there's still that 2.3% chance, and seeing Illinois and New York as close to swing state status as they are, I'd prefer something like +10 or +12 to really keep things safe. 

Normally, I'm not big on the whole "well vote your conscience in a safe state but vote for a lesser evil in a swing state" argument, I mean, in 2016 and 2020, I voted for the greens and I gave no craps about it. i think if youre that firm in your principles you should do what you want. But...this isnt a normal election cycle. 1) Trump is literally a threat to democracy, 2) Biden is okay, and 3) there isn't a left wing candidate that I'm really firmly enough in support of that I would like to vote for. Stein and Biden are kinda in the same territory, and I guess that push comes to shove if I lived in a system where I could safely virtue signal on economics, I still would, but again, I don't feel strongly enough about leftists this time around, and I do consider the GOP to be more of a threat. I mean, I did read a bit more into Project 2025, and I know I downplayed it before, but jesus christ, yeah that's some scary crap. And again, we're in a position where if Biden loses, it's gonna be primarily over the economy, and the signals sent to the dems are they need to move further RIGHT, not left. 

So...I kinda feel like voting third party in a swing state is like electorally shooting myself in the foot. I'd rather not do that. I do believe the situation is dire enough to justify a more "strategic" vote this election, and I really feel like stopping Trump and the GOP and defending whatever flawed legacy the democrats have is more important than whatever virtue signal I can send. At least this time around. 

You know, I heard Kyle Kulinski on his program today say that people will ask 20+ years ago where we stood today on the gaza genocide. And I have to say...no, no they won't. No one will give a flying crap where you stood on gaza in 2024. Do we really make a big deal about where people stood on vietnam in the 1960s? Sure, we can say the "anti war" people were right, but is anyone gonna care if you didnt vote for Humphrey because vietnam in 1968? No. Actually, we might, but not in the way you'd expect. 

You see, Vietnam was a blight on an otherwise solidly progressive johnson administration, but the johnson administration was solidly progressive on the domestic front. Dude got crap done. He was probably the second most progressive president of the 20th century and my example whenever the dems pull the "most progressive president ever or since FDR" thing. Nah, Johnson was based. He knew how to use the bully pulpit, he knew how to assert his authority over congress. And he got things done. And you know what? If anything, I felt his frustration, when he said something along the lines of "I gave them everything they wanted, why are they still hating me?" or something to that effect. And you know what? I get that frustration right now. Imagine having fricking LYNDON B JOHNSON as president, the dude gets civil rights for blacks, desegregates the schools, fights a literal war on poverty, leaves office with the best economy we could have, with the next dude thinking about implementing a UBI to finish the job, and these college kids get all uppity over nam. If anything, I feel more about the college kids given the draft was a thing at the time, but otherwise, yeah. 

And now, vietnam is all water under the bridge. Maybe the anti war side were right in the end, but I do think that their crappy behavior did lose the country and shift things to the right. 

When I look back at that era, and I really think about where people stood at the time, it mostly seems abstract to me. It's history at this point after all. I dont think anyone cares. And looking back the only things that ultimately mattered are related to the realignment going on under their nose. In 1968, it was the year the new deal coalition fractured. Some of it was uppity college kids over humphrey, but the big cause was the dixiecrats defecting over civil rights.In 1972 those guys became the ones who became part of nixon's silent majority and went with his dog whistle politics. Then in 1976 things swung back to carter because nixon was corrupt, and in 1980 things swung back to reagan. 

When I think about where people stood, the most important thing to me would be derailing a right wing movement. I'd want to stop reagan before we got to 1980. I'd want to support the dems through 1968, through 1972, through 1976, and 1980. Those were the most important elections of our lifetime. And what happens 36 years after a realignment? Another realignment.

We are in that moment now. We have been since 2016. Now, 2016, I was fine virtue signalling a support for Stein. Clinton was an entitled POS, and I thought that Trump winning was a fluke, and perhaps, at the time, it was. I really do think clinton losing was more about a rejection of clinton than an endorsement of trump, and I really believed that it was a condemnation of the democratic brand. ANd you know what? I still believe it to some extent. But regardless, 2020 taught me something else. That Trump STILL "had it" in 2020, and we barely avoided a second term of the guy. How do we barely avoid a second term of the most woefully incompetent president in modern history? This dude made Dubya look like a genius. Biden deserved an easy lap, and even if I didnt vote for him, the numbers at the time seemed to tell me he would comfortably win. But he very much UNCOMFORTABLY won.

And while I knew Biden in 2024 would probably crater, seeing how things have unfolded since 2020 have concerned me. We had january 6th, where the sore loser incited an insurrection over losing the election. We had the dude take a hard authoritarian turn where he and his supporters start openly flirting with autocracy and christian theocracy. We've had a spell of inflation that's causing deep dissatisfaction within the country and driving people away from the democrats and toward trump. Biden actually ended up being objectively more progressive than i thought, he hasnt been AMAZING, but he has been aight. But he was railroaded by congress at every turn, and now people are turning on him, saying he went too far left and that's why the inflation happened.

In short, we are in trouble. We are kind of screwed if Biden doesn't win. This could be a BAD election. Like a 1968 or 1980 style election. Something that either completes a realignment that's been happening since 2016, or shows a disturbing trend in the democrat's future electoral capabilities and coalitions. Either way, it's BAD NEWS for us. And if we want the best outcome for the country possible, Biden HAS to win here. That's how I see it. 

And you know what? Living in Pennsylvania, the battleground of battlegrounds, the current deciding state that decides the fate of the whole country, with the state possibly being decided by a few thousand votes, my vote has an outsized influence on the fate of the country. I am THE ultimate swing voter. I am THE GUY who decides elections. Or I can be one of a few thousand guys who determine the fate of the whole country.

Given this could have an outsized influence on the state of the country for literal decades, do I want to be the guy who didn't back Biden and led to the rise of Donald Trump and his GOP? We could be feeling the effects of this election until the 2060s. Just like the country is still reeling from the decisions made by those in that crucial 1968-1980 time period.

If I don't want ANYTHING on my conscience, it's getting trump elected to a second term. First term, okay. First term, I had to send a message to the dems that their strategy sucked, that they were abandoning white working class voters, and that they had to do better. I dont regret that. In some ways, I feel like 2016 was one of those fateful elections too, but i ultimately put the blame on clinton for that one, for being such an insufferable person and alienating hundreds of thousands or even millions of voters and driving most of them into the hands of Donald Trump. She decided it was her turn, she derailed Bernie Sanders, who would've been our new FDR, and she decided to run a crappy campaign. She deserved to lose, she really did. But Biden, well, he's tried. He's worked with Bernie, he's proposed and pushed light versions of his policies, he's tried to do good things, only to be stonewalled at every turn, and now he's facing frustration as the country turns on him over inflation, and to a smaller extent, gaza.

I dont think gaza will be the ultimate decider of this election. I think it's mostly a handful of lefties being annoying and obnoxious over it, a "vocal minority" so to speak, but it still could have an impact. Still, the big issue is INFLATION, and that will be what will be written in the history books. That Biden lost because of inflation, and the country shifted right, and we never got good things for the next 30 years because the dems had to run hard to the center just to get elected after that. 

And with that, that's what scares ME. I don't want to be complicit in reelecting Donald Fricking Trump under these circumstances. No. He's too dangerous, and the state of the democratic coalition is too fragile to risk a second Trump presidency. So no, I can't vote third party this time. I'll consider it in future elections if the stakes are a bit lower, but not here. Not now. 

It's not gaza that will remain on my conscience 20+ years from now. it's the stuff that's going on right now, in this decade in this election cycle. As I said, I'm treating 2024 like 1968 or 1980. I wouldnt wanna be complicit in the rise of the right back then either. So I'm making sure to remain on the right side of history here.

No comments:

Post a Comment