Thursday, July 28, 2016

DNC Day 4 Part 2

Okay, so, as you know, I ranted earlier today about some of the earlier speeches. I'm going to cover the rest, including Clinton's speech now.

 Many of the speeches were more of the same. I won't bother with those. Some of them were decent. Many of them were very high energy and some of the speakers tonight seemed very impassioned and fired up. I almost felt like I was in one of those Pentacostal church services with the pastor goes on about Jesus and his blood and the holy ghost, SAY HALLELUJAH! Seeing how some of them were literally preachers who invoked God all the time, doubly so.

As for Clinton. I think Clinton's speech wasn't bad. Unlike my rant earlier, the economy was front and center. Clinton acknowledged Bernie supporters, and talked about her plans for the economy. I'm not overly impressed with them, but then again, you know how much further left I am. She promoted the same old "job creation" stuff that we've heard under Obama and even the other Clinton if we want to come down to it (Bill talked about this stuff back in 1992 when he ran against Bush). I mean, it's good conventional politics, but conventional politics is wearing thin for me and we need new solutions. If you read this blog regularly, you'll understand why. If not, then get reading. Especially my argument on the labor market being rigged.

On other topics, she made a fairly strong case, on foreign policy, on social policy, etc. She's your standard democratic politician. She's fairly solid, and I would say she definitely knows more about public policy than the loud obnoxious oompa loompa in the other party.

As a matter of fact, despite the democratic party's shortcomings, I will say that overall, the democrats offer a much better vision and platform than the republicans hands down. But then again, that's kind of like saying water is wet and that 2+2=4 these days. I mean, I'd argue my problem with the democrats is that they're too much like the republicans whether they admit it or not, and I'd like them to double down on being liberal, especially on economics. But all in all, as far as the major two parties of our two party system go, the democrats are the only one with a decent idea of what they're doing hands down.

Despite this fact, the democrats still have a lot of work to do. They're still too moderate, and they're very untrustworthy coming off of the primary. As such, I still would suggest people looking for more to maybe consider a third party. One party having a monopoly on good ideas enables them to get away with a lot of crap they otherwise shouldn't be able to, and I think that it is important to hold them accountable, especially since they've been shamelessly flaunting the fact that they don't think we have other options but to vote for them.

So yeah, that's my thought on the democratic convention and Clinton. We're now going into the general election, and I don't know how I will be covering this from here on out. Most of my posts have been within the context of the primary, so this is a potential shift. I'll have to play it by ear. I'll likely post when I find something I talk about, like I always do. I'm guessing I'll be discussing electoral scenarios a lot. I will likely discuss major election events too, and whatever the heck I feel like talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment