Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Day 3 of the Republican convention: The American Dream is real...if only you believe! (also, we're better than the democrats...somehow...)

This will be a relatively short blog post compared to day 1 and day 2 as I already ripped the Republican platform a new one and covered most of the bases, but I'm covering the each day for the sake of doing so. The common theme I heard tonight was about the American dream and hard work, and American exceptionalism. It was a massive echo chamber about how amazing America is, how we're the land of opportunity, and how everyone can make it if only they work hard. I'm not even gonna refute this because I've done so on this blog already. I'm just gonna shake my head at how many people eat this up. It was the same empty rhetoric we always see from republicans. Never mind the fact that they don't have real solutions, never mind the fact that they contributed to the problem since they control congress. They have been obstructing the democrats for years, and they have the balls to then bash them for the status quo? Yeah, no, you built that. So did the dems too. The democrats are timid. They are scared. They're stuck in their own establishment bubble. Both parties have failed us here.

I have to credit the republicans for trying to offer a positive vision though. This is, once again, why Clinton is a bad candidate, and why Bernie was who we need. Bernie does offer an exciting vision. He does offer positive change. Clinton does not. Clinton defends a status quo that no one likes, and this is going to cost her support. I've already expressed my unwillingness to support her.  And considering how even the republicans can offer a positive vision, I fear the democrats are really losing the country big time here. I mean, listening to Pence and others, if I were younger, more naive, I could get hyped by the republicans here. I really could. They are trying to offer a better vision for the future, at least on paper (they don't mean it, they're the epitome of the problem), while the democrats have been telling us to be grateful for what we get. And it doesn't have to be this way. It's a sad sight to see. The democrats are throwing away, and very well might already have, by throwing out sanders, the election, and the ideological narrative that defines this nation. Lukewarm liberalism excites no one. People get excited by offering a positive vision for the future, and the republicans are managing to do that more than the democrats. It's scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment