Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Discussing "quiet quitting"

 I can't believe I have to do this. The first time I came across the term, I thought it would be one of those joke terms some pencil pusher with too much time on their hands who insists everyone else must work hard and give their all to the company came up with. And that it would be laughed off, and that no one would take it seriously. But here we are, like a month later and the term hasn't died. It has become the next step of the culture war between left and right surrounding work.

The notion of quiet quitting is ridiculous. It's the idea that a person who works for a company isn't emotionally invested in it where they want to go above and beyond and dedicate their life to it. They don't want to come in early and stay late. They don't want to do more than the bare minimum. You're not allowed to just take a job, and do the job description to the letter, and go home and mentally clock out at the end of the day. No, they want people who are 100% invested and will do anything for the company. It's ridiculous.

This is one of the reasons I became so anti work in the first place. It's not enough for these people to just go through the motions. You're not allowed to just show up, do your job, and go home. You're not allowed to work just to live, and to see your work as just there to finance your life. Work is expected to BE your life. I noticed that when I went into the job market for myself. These people don't want people who just go through the emotions, put in an honest day, and go home. They want people who will give their lives for the company with a smile on their face.

And I'm sorry, that ain't me. I don't want to work. I hate working. I hate the idea of work. I just want to go through the motions. I want to work to life, if I'm forced to work at all, not live to work. I'm not enthusiastic about working. I'm not a go getter. I don't have ambitions. I like money, but I don't like working. The only thing I'm really passionate about in life is UBI and my anti work ideology, if that makes any sense. 

For me, it's bad enough that we all have to work for a living. I honestly think we should do better things with our life than working for a living. I don't see a job as having dignity. I see having money as having dignity. I don't see jobs as giving me a purpose I can believe in. I believe they impose purpose on people like me, and only work on those still trapped in plato's cave metaphorically. But then to be expected to believe in all of this BS and want to give my all in a job I dont even believe in? It's insult to injury.

I notice there is a culture war between the workers and corporate entities in recent years surrounding this crap. Since COVID "freed" people from working and allowed many others to work from home, giving greater levels of work life balance to people, a lot of people are starting to realize that work isnt everything. And corporations and the higher ups are being scared crapless by that. For many of them, they've invested their whole lives into the gospel of work, and the fact that younger generations don't think like them scares them. They are scared of the idea of losing control over their wage slaves mentally. That's why they want work from homers back in the office. The office lets the boss lord over the employee. It's a lot like the whole plaque Mr Burns made Homer have in his office after he begged for his job back, "remember, you're here forever". I remember when people went back to the office they were mocking employees for not being able to wear sweat pants and get up at 8 AM any more, having to readjust to wearing a suit (aka torture devices for us "neurodiverse" people) and commuting 2 hours each way. It's about control. It's about imposing discipline on people. It's about the idea that people can't just be left alone to live as they want, they need to be told how to live by higher ups. For all the talk we Americans make about freedom, we live lives that are horribly unfree. Charles Murray had the same weird mentality in his thinking in "In Our Hands". 

It's the same thing with this. Some loser who gives their life to the gospel of work actually came up with the idea of not being 100% all in with corporate culture and wanting their life outside of work being bad, akin to "quiet quitting", and they wrote articles gaslighting people about it. And of course, the corporate overlords who give their life over to that stuff lap it up. These are also the same kinds of people who are like Kevin O Leery, by the way, who tell us that 40 weeks isnt enough and you need to put in like 100 hours a week to get somewhere in the business world. Ya know? They have no life outside of work. They want us to have no life outside of work. They want to impose their culture onto us.

Screw that, I say. Here at outofplatoscave2012, I want to free people from these work base mentalities and brainwashing and gaslighting. Work is a means to an end, not an end in itself. Not all work is bad, some can produce good results, but ultimately, it's the products of our labor that make it worth it, not the process. And there's nothing wrong with not being invested into work. If anything, I wish more people didn't, and on this particular culture war, I want this corporate culture nonsense to die out so bad. We should want to work less. We should want to do more with our life than the "grind" or the "hustle" or whatever nonsense we want to call it. All "quiet quitting" is, is gaslighting people and making people feel bad for putting in an honest day's work, but nothing more. Not wanting to in body and spirit, give their life over to their job and the company for their profits. Anyway who rejects this nonsense is smart, I tell you. The only people who have a vested interest in this crap are the higher ups who want a country of nice little worker bees to do their bidding without question, and who want to give up their whole lives for them and their profits.

No comments:

Post a Comment