Thursday, March 21, 2024

Is the tiktok ban backfiring on democrats?

 So...a lot of young people in particular seem pissed off about the tiktok ban, saying things like "gee, congress is obstructed on almost anything but they can push a tiktok ban?" I know, I know, bipartisanship, but I can see why it's enraging. Anything that helps the American people = "sorry, can't do that", but then "oh noes I'm losing the election better ban tiktok?" Suddenly that passes.

It's the same energy as another comment I'm seeing lately criticizing Biden. "We have all of this money for war but we can't help our own people". Again, people are getting enraged. I saw someone yesterday posting about how their social program helping them pay for their internet was being cut while we send tens of billions to Ukraine and Israel, with israel being particularly enraging to people due to the contentiousness of the conflict going on there.

Again, it really comes down to "we can do all this other crap we don't want that doesn't help us but than when it comes to helping us, you can't do anything?" Again, it enrages people.

I'm not really on board with the tiktok ban. I think china is kinda promoting pro palestine crap, but most users are apparently western and its leftists crapposting with each other. I do think there's an issue with the promotion of extremist content in their algorithms but i do agree banning it is an infringement on free speech. 

And with the war stuff, well, I agree with war funding. I think it helps US interests abroad, and I do think that stuff doesnt threaten the ability to fund stuff locally. I mean, $100 billion in aid isnt gonna threaten universal healthcare or UBI, much less something like build back better or traditional welfare. It's just the principle of the thing. Why NOT stuff that helps the american people?

This is where Biden is struggling with people, especially young people. His administration comes off as useless at passing anything worth a darn, but then he's suddenly able to do these things that a significant portion of his base DOESNT want him to do? Yeah I can understand that. Biden has a serious optics problem with young people, and this stuff doesn't help. I just wanted to point this out since I went into that article about why his campaign isnt landing and how he comes off as out of touch at times, especially on the economy. I dont think biden is a bad president, but again, there's some bad optics here.

No comments:

Post a Comment