Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Pushing back on David Pakman and his "reality" based commentary

 So, I don't think neolibs realize just how fricking offputting it is to be like JOE BIDEN IS NOW THE NOMINEE, THIS IS REALITY, YOU HAVE TO FALL IN BEHIND US OR YOU GET TRUMP!

I mean, it feels like you're putting a gun to our heads. It really does, and even as someone who is backing Joe Biden in the general, even I dislike this language. 

First of all, I DID NOT VOTE YET. I did NOT vote in my state's primary yet. I hate this crap of having a late primary where I have a nominee shoved down my throat and im forced to accept them without giving me say. I recognize my say is purely symbolic at this point, but it is still my say to give.

Second of all, my vote IS my vote to give. Candidates have to EARN it. You cant just come in and say I HAVE to give it to you. That crap pisses me off so bad. No, screw off, EARN it.

Now, with that said, I have changed all of my profile pictures today to a picture of dark brandon. Heck it's the same picture that's a thumbnail on the above video. Because at the end of the day, I do support dark brandon. I think he's a decent president, and he has earned a vote.

I do recognize that Donald Trump is a threat to democracy. I will vote for Biden in part just to strategically try to keep trump out. I dont think my lack of doing this is directly responsible for trump winning, but rather, I do actually believe in Biden and democracy enough that I will happily give it.

I do recognize that this was the inevitable outcome. The mathematical 'reality" has been clear from the get go. Remember my prediction. A 100% chance Trump is the republican nominee and a 100% chance Biden is the democratic nominee. This cycle isn't even competitive.

I do recognize that the left has not had a formidable opposition to Biden this election cycle. Marianne Williamson and Dean Phillips were always fringe candidates who lacked widespread public support. i still supported them because, well, I like them better than Biden, but I recognize that Biden was always gonna be the nominee.

I recognize left wing ideas I support like UBI and reducing the work week are laughably unpopular right now. My ideas work best during the part of the economic cycle where unemployment is high and inflation is low. We are in a period where unemployment is low and inflation is high. people turn conservative AF when this happens. This is what led to the reagan revolution back in the 1980s. So we lefties kinda have to batten down the hatches and prepare to weather a conservative storm in the mean time. Quite frankly, Biden is the best we got, and if we dont back him, we're gonna get swept away. Happened before, it'll happen again, if we're not careful. 

I recognize that Biden is, objectively, mathematically, the best person for the job. I mean, I looked at the prospect of replacing Biden. it's not pretty. As bad as Biden's numbers are, replacing him with someone else would tank our chances to near 0 or literally 0. Again, we're living in a time where it's not 2016 any more. Conservatism is popular, liberalism is unpopular, and we gotta rally behind our guy no matter how crappy it is or get completely wiped out by the GOP. 

And yes, I recognize that protest voting over Gaza is monumentally stupid and suicidal. Stop it, lefties, stop it. Let's not sacrifice OUR country to the right because you're feeling self righteous over the Palestine situation. 

I will encourage everyone at this point, in the general election, to vote for Biden. However, I also think this "THIS IS REALITY DEAL WITH IT" rhetoric is offputting and alienating. If I did not have my wits about me, I would react to Pakman's video as fiercely as I would have in 2016 and 2020. because democrats arent owed votes. But, I hope that people can recognize the gravity of the situation, and understand that the objectively best choice someone on the left can make this year, is to back Biden. I don't necessarily like it either. Biden is...well...he's ok, but that's it. He's saltine crackers and stale water. Still, it beats battery acid. And let's face it, the left will get NOWHERE with protest votes and putting pressure on Biden that costs him the election. It will just drive the entire overton window to the right, as that's where the center of the country is right now, and we kinda gotta weather this one out and hope for clearer skies in 2028.

This is not a surrender, this is a strategic retreat. I want to emphasize that. I'm not done pushing for UBI, and Medicare for all, and free college, and a reduced work week. This is STRATEGY. This is like that turn in advance wars where your opponent is about to pop their super power so you're playing defensively to minimize the damage. If we play stupidly, we will lose. If we play intelligently and defensively, we can come back and in another couple of turns do the same to them again. 

So yeah. Back Biden guys. Don't be stupid about this. 

At the same time, i wish dweebs like david pakman wouldnt lay it on so thick like we ARE being forced to surrender. Because it will just make people want to fight the democratic establishment in a year where that would be disastrous. Bide our time, wait for a better moment. 2024 isn't our year.

No comments:

Post a Comment