Friday, March 8, 2024

So it turns out I'm not the only one who hated the republican response to the SOTU...

 So....that republican response last night was....something. Honestly, my take on it last night was just...my reaction to it. It seemed overly emotional, and very fake. Kinda like Mrs. Lovejoy fake crying while saying "won't somebody PLEASE think of the children...", and that stuff doesn't work well on me. Because overly emotional responses like that are inherently manipulative and if anything, it just makes me clam up and dig into my original position, refusing to compromise even an iota. Liberals and leftists do this stuff a lot on topics related to say, underprivileged minorities, or the LGBTQ+ community, or even Gaza lately. And I often find it an attempt to get me off message, and focused on everyone else's BS, and wanting to stay focused on my own, I shut down and tend to react badly to that stuff. 

Well, apparently her behavior was so over the top EVERYONE found it fake. It was literal uncanny valley type stuff of smiling, laughing, crying, and whispering all at the same time. People said it had like a stepford wives vibe, or the handmaid's tale, or Mrs. Lovejoy, or overly attached girlfriend, or some cult leader's wife. On the cult leader's wife thing, yes, that's exactly it, I've seen this behavior before...from freaking Faith Seed from Far Cry 5. Who literally was like a cult leader's wife, or adoptive daughter, or whatever the fudge she was supposed to be. 

While it seems clear to me what they were going for, they wanted the senator from Alabama in order to alleviate concerns about IVF, as that ruling backfired massively on republicans, and she wanted to go on about "kitchen table issues" so sat at a kitchen table as a result, many people couldn't help but take note that she was in fact, a woman in a kitchen. And it does seem like, to the GOP, a woman's place is, in fact, in the kitchen. We couldn't tell if Katie Britt was barefoot and pregnant or not. 

So yeah, it was cringe. Really uncanny valley level cringe that everyone has been constantly ripping all day. Literally the only person I've seen talk positively of it was Donald Trump himself. Everyone else, including most republicans, are like, wtf is this? It actually backfired badly.

Meanwhile most democrats seem very happy with Biden's speech, including me. I mean, let's face it, Biden will never FULLY live up to my standards, but again, he seems to be the best we got this election cycle, and he's mildly progressive at least. I don't hate him. I can tolerate him. He seemed to deliver the best speech that he could. Only people complaining about it are republicans who said he's "too angry" or "combative" (meanwhile your loudmouth cheeto of a nominee isn't?), and of course the free palestine people who seem to have a perpetual stick inserted you know where on that issue, that's too deep to realistically be removed. But yeah, he gave the best speech he was going to given the circumstances, and most reactions to it were far more positive. He seemed to deliver what he needed to convince people he was up to the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment