Thursday, May 2, 2024

A list of issues I care about more than gaza

 More anti circlejerk stuff. This one involves people listing causes they care about more than gaza. Here's their list, and I largely agree with it:

Things, IMO that are more important to spend our time on (in no particular order):

  • Preventing a Trump presidency
  • 40,000 gun deaths per year in the US
  • Project 2025
  • Russia's imperialism
  • Cheering Biden's de-scheduling of marijuana
  • Cheering Biden's student debt relief efforts
  • Protesting womens' reproductive rights being stripped away in nearly half the country
  • Advocating for some kind of universal healthcare
  • Income inequality in the US
  • Combating foreign social media subversion and propaganda
  • Criminal justice reform
  • The housing crisis
  • The homelessness crisis
  • Fighting for and protecting trans rights
  • Climate change
  • Opioid/fent crisis
  • Productive immigration reform
  • Unions' and workers' rights
  • Living wage
  • Parental leave
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • Gaza is somewhere down here

Your list will be different. There's only so many hours in the day, though. There's only so much you can think about at once. Every subject you spend time on means all the other subjects don't get time.

Is Gaza really the top of your list?

 Yep. And I did highlight some of my top causes there for posterity's sake. You can see several of my top issues there.

Beyond that, I'll say I think UBI is right at the top.

Medicare for all is #2, but it's covered there.

Free college/student debt forgiveness is #3, and student debt forgiveness is on there.

Climate change is #4. 

Housing is #5.

I highlighted income inequality, homeless, and living wage as going in with others. Also high issues even if not stated as a key part of my "new new deal" or economic bill of rights. 

I'd also include a 32 hour work week, since that's been discussed in congress lately.

I'll include union stuff, worker's rights, an updated fair labor standards act to account for many of my above concerns. 

I'll throw in Andrew Yang's concerns of ranked choice voting, open primaries, and independent redistricting, which are all important. I'll even throw in repealing the reapportionment act of 1929 which keeps us at 435 representatives as district sizes balloon to insane levels and give rural areas an unfair bias. 

Or passing Biden's HR1 democracy reform he wanted at the beginning of his term. 

On social issues, I care about abortion, I care about gay rights, trans rights, etc. I care about stopping the religious right. That's the one culture war I care about. 

Hell on the other culture war stuff, I'll prioritize the left's cringey intersectionality crap over gaza. I care more about black americans and their problems with police violence and redlining and stuff. I care about women's rights. I care about, again, gay and trans rights. I might not go bugnuts over the privilege stuff, but I care infinitely more about my fellow americans than I do about a bunch of religious radicals in gaza.

On foreign policy, I care more about preserving western liberal values and democracy, and I'm honest in that yes, I do prioritize preserving the state of Israel over Palestinian concerns, not many will admit this, but I actually do. I just think Netanyahu is going too far. You CAN hold that position, while simultaneously supporting the state of israels' right to exist. 

I care more about ukraine and taiwan too. I care about preserving our sphere of influence, and backing our allies on the world stage.

Heck on foreign policy, we're basically talking the emissary vs the hunter from starfield again. Force that is justified via principles some people might not agree with, but are principles worth defending nevertheless, vs rank authoritarianism and lawlessness. Basically, all of foreign policy right now comes down to a debate between the emissary (US and western allies) vs the hunter (Russia/china and their allies). And I'm pro emissary all the way. 

I care more about civil liberties at home. I care about our protesters for gaza being treated in accordance with our legal rights and the rule of law, than i care about gaza itself. Hence why I spend so much time rule policing them. 

I mean, you get it, I care about virtually everything, more than I care about gaza. It would probably be quicker to discuss things I care about LESS than gaza, and I guess that is other random genocides going on across the world no one cares about that I cant even name off the top of my head. Idk, sudan? I think there's one there. 

I care less about weird farm related policies that come up on political compass tests.

I care less about yahoos flying confederate flags on public property in the south. 

But yeah, when I think about it, I care more about virtually every domestic issue (and i have "isidewith's" quiz open in the other window as im looking for stuff I care less about), and even a large amount of foreign policy issues.

Gaza is literally near the bottom of the list of things that motivate me. 

I mean to go back to identity politics, I guess I care less about how many women/POC are on the board of directors of any given corporation. Or the transgender sports issue. 

But yeah I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. I care more about literally like 95-98% of issues over the gaza issue. 

SO how likely is this gonna influence my vote for Biden?

Via metric 1, the most I can make it count is about 1-2% all things considered, and only if you have a really egregious stance like Trump would have where the candidate is openly pro genocide. 

If you're in the middle like Biden, it's like...no, i actually agree with Biden's actions and would stay the course.

Is this worth screwing Biden out of winning over? No, not at all. And I fully disagree with people who wanna vote third party over this.

No comments:

Post a Comment