Sunday, May 5, 2024

Can we NOT go for Gretchen Whitmer in 2028?

 I keep seeing 2028 come up and I always see people pushing Gretchen Whitmer like she is THE PERSON we should be focused on, and I'm just like...oh god, no.

Look, Whitmer is a centrist craplib. She's more moderate than Biden. She isn't that progressive at all. And after Biden, I will NOT be looking for a Whitmer like candidate, heck, a candidate like Whitmer, if my own pecking order for this election is any indication, the last thing that I want.

I'm just going to say it now, if Whitmer is the nominee and there arent serious economic concessions to the left, I ain't voting for her UNLESS the republican nominee is another existential threat to democracy like Trump is. Even then I'm REALLY holding my nose.

The deal is this, I wont necessarily go full bernie or bust if I get reasonable concessions, but I would like to see movement in my direction. After Biden, Biden is the bare minimum. I'll consider someone like Harris if she runs on ideas she ran on in 2020 like her public option healthcare plan. I could consider Newsom maybe. But yeah no, anyone who is overtly centrist and alienating to the left is gonna lose me and I will have a problem with voting for them. Just throwing that out there now. Don't test me. You got me on board with Biden this time since he had the most progressive agenda since LBJ. I won't be doing this again in 2028 if we downgrade. I'm just gonna say it, Biden's agenda or better. That's the minimum. I'm ratchet effecting this crap. 

Going Whitmer is the same mistake that the dems made in 2016, going for someone more moderate after a relatively more economically progressive administration. I mean, Clinton was the centrist candidate, Obama was the progressive. After Obama, why would we wanna go back to Clinton? No we wanted Sanders, someone better. Same here. Biden shifted left to appease the Bernie people, and I'm finally responding positively to it. But don't take such a response as an assurance that I'll just vote for ANYONE. If your candidate sucks next time, I won't necessarily support them, plain and simple. 

Her being "center left" isnt a plus. I WANT a progressive. The reason I'm defending Biden this time is a defense of his attempts at progressivism. Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm "blue no matter who", I'm not. The idea of "earning my vote" still applies, Biden earned it. Learn from that and move on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment