Thursday, February 29, 2024

Appealing to "other cultures" doesn't generally make self immolation any better

 So....some people online actually think that what Aaron Bushnell did was a good and brave thing. I think these people are nuts. One argument they like to trot out is to talk about the Arab Spring guy and some Buddhist monks who did it during the Vietnam war. And I'm just going to say it, I don't care, this doesn't make it any better. 

Look, despite being a secular humanist, I'm not a full on cultural or moral relativist. While yes, in theory, all actions are morally equal in the absence of an objective moral law established by a deity to judge people, I am not of the opinion all cultural or moral opinions are equal. I think, tautologically, morality is intended to improve and extend the quality of life of those subject to it. As such, some actions HELP toward such goals, and others HURT. Obviously, setting yourself on fire for no freaking reason HURTS. And while, in my principle that people should be free to live as they want given they don't harm others, and this is merely harming oneself, I still think it's stupid. Yeah people have a freedom to do it, but they shouldn't be celebrated or encouraged, and a culture that does so has some serious moral defects in my opinion. 

Perhaps in non western cultures that weigh the value of an individual human life differently than my western sensibilities, such a decision is...shall we say, more understandable. But that doesn't make it more moral, in my opinion, because suicide is counterproductive to the goal of morality, which is, again, to extend and enhance human life above what it would be otherwise. I guess if you pushed me, I could say self sacrifice is valid if it serves a valid direct purpose, like jumping on a grenade to save a squad in war. But this dude....didn't do that. He set himself on fire, AS A VIRTUE SIGNAL. The whole point of this is to say "look at me and how much I believe in this cause, im gonna set myself on fire to guilt and shame you into changing things." And most of the time, the death is pointless, it's a virtue signal it serves no immediate purpose, but people think it's hardcore so they celebrate it and look at how dedicated he was to his ideals.

He was radicalized, plain and simple. This is radicalization. Period. It isnt something that should be encouraged or celebrated. And even in the other contexts, it doesnt make much sense to me. I guess if  you feel super hopeless living under an oppressive dictator and you're sending a message that you dont wanna live on the planet any more and this is your big exit, eh...maybe, but even then, again, I'm not going to encourage that. But this guy didn't even have a personal stake in the issue, which makes this far more pointless and tragic. It LITERALLY WAS a pointless virtue signal. 

There are better ways to make your position on Gaza known. Like voting "uncommitted" in Michigan

And yeah. Unless you're a professional pyrotechnic who knows how to do this stuff SAFELY (yes, I just had to sneak some Rammstein in there), I highly advise NOT setting yourself on fire as a form of protest. If you are a professional pyrotechnic who can do it safely and live to tell the tale afterwards with at most minor injuries, well, I can probably respect that a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment