Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Rating other possible democratic party candidates

 So, with talk of people suddenly wanting Biden to drop out, as we know, three names have come up in their place: Kamala Harris, Gavin Newsom, and Gretchen Whitmer. I would like to analyze these three according to metric 1 and see how they would fit into my scorecard of 2024 candidates.

Kamala Harris

Basic income support- 3/10

She does not support UBI but has supported the LIFT act in 2020, which was like a mini NIT. 

Medicare for all- 8/10

She actually seemed to support a healthcare plan resembling my Medicare extra for all backup proposal. 

Other economic issues- 8/10

While centrist, she does seem to support a lot of moderately progressive positions, she's not amazing and if I was measuring by metric 2 she would probably only do about as good as Biden, but that's still...not bad. 

Social policy- 9/10

She largely is in line with my politics, and I don't have much negative to say about her. Maybe her gun position.

Foreign policy- 10/10

I have no complaints here and assume he will be just as solid as Biden has been.

Worldview- 12/20

Eh, she's a moderate. A more progressive moderate, but still a moderate. She's like a tad better than Biden and that's it.

Commitment to progressive goals- 4/10

Eh, while she likely would do what she wants to do I could see her triangulating out of political pressure and abandoning goals she struggles to pass. 

Experience/competence- 10/10

I mean, she's VP. She's clearly groomed for the job after Biden. 

Not a spoiler- 10/10

I mean, she ain't. She isnt particularly electable but I didn't make that part of this metric as i never anticipated this as being something to consider. 

Overall- 74/100

She's actually a pretty solid candidate for a centrist. She scores better than Biden, primarily because of her healthcare policy during 2020, but it's enough to get her up into Dean Phillips territory. 

Warmness rating- 65/100

I aint crazy about her, but she's alright. I actually would rather have her over Biden, electability not being a factor.

Gavin Newsom

Basic income support- 4/10

He has actually signed off on UBI trials in his state. I have to give him some credit for that.

Medicare for all support.- 7/10

Eh, he seems to support the idea in theory, but has been criticized for scuttling it in the past. He doesnt necessarily support single payer but seems to want some sort of universal coverage system.He seems to be trying to expand coverage under his version of the medicaid expansion system. 

Other Economic Issues- 8/10

Eh, he seems like a fairly progressive democrat. 

Social issues- 6/10

Sometimes gets too progressive and woke, leaned into the "metoo" movement, which I have a negative opinion on these days. Also is too pro illegal immigrant for me. He expanded his healthcare system to cover illegals and not even i would do THAT. Also very anti gun. Still, hes on the right side of most of the issues most of the time.

Foreign policy-  10/10

He seems pro Ukraine/Israel, so that's fine by me. 

Worldview- 12/20

He seems to be in that "slightly more progressive than Biden but not quite progressive" camp. Like he tries to be progressive sometimes but has limits and misplaced priorities.

Commitment to progressive goals- 4/10

I mean, he's done some good things, but the left has rightfully skewered him for backing away from medicare for all.

Experience/competence- 10/10

I mean he's been in politics for 20 years, is a competent governor of the largest US state, he could do the job of president. 

Not a spoiler- 10/10

I mean this is if he is the democratic nominee after all...

Overall- 71/100

He's slightly weaker than Harris. In some ways I like her better than harris. Like he seems surprisingly progressive on UBI and healthcare, but also seems to lack the consistency or dedication to topics. he could be quite progressive, or he could end up just being another worthless centrist suit. Who knows? 

Warmness rating- 65/100

Again, not super crazy about this guy but I low key like him. 

Gretchen Whitmer

 Basic income support- 4/10

She also seems to have signed off on some UBI trials in her state.

Medicare for all support- 2/10

She says she supports some form of healthcare for all but she's anti single payer and has been accused of having ties with the health insurance agency. So that's a no go for me.

Economic issues- 4/10

Eh, she seems very pro business and centristy for a democrat. I don't like her. She doesn't even seem to support a $15 minimum wage. Like thats the most basic purity test these days. Jesus Christ she's pretty awful on economic issues. Like, republican lite level. She supports universal preK and repealed right to work though...

Social issues- 7/10

I mean she's decent on social issues, but also super anti gun. 

Foreign policy- 8/10

She seems pro Israel but also anti BDS which comes off as a bit TOO pro israel to me. Also pro Ukraine.

Worldview- 8/20

Ugh, shes a bit of a centrist dem. Like more centrist than Biden. Like, the kind of democrats I'd hate to vote for. Like, I might actually want cornel west over her with her on the ticket. Of the three she's the worst candidate to put on the ticket instead of Biden.

Commitment to progressive goals- 0/10

She's a full on centrist. i dont trust her as far as I can throw her.

Experience/competence- 8/10

I mean she's a one term governor, she can do the job...

Not a spoiler- 10/10

Again, she's a democrat.

Overall- 51/100

I honestly have a strong, visceral dislike for her after researching her positions. She's a full on centrist corporate democrat. And if she were the nominee, I would have to really hold my nose for her. She's so bad I might seriously consider Cornel West instead if she were on the ticket. 

Warmness rating- 30/100

Yeah. Don't like her at all. It's a good thing I care so much about stopping Trump this time. I would never support her otherwise.Please dont let Biden retire if this is what we get instead.

Overall opinions

Honestly, I would happily vote for Harris or Newsom if they were put up for president. However, I doubt either are electable. Harris is just unpopular with the public for whatever reason (even though she's like a slightly more progressive joe biden). I like newsom quite a bit. I dont think him giving healthcare to illegals and the stigma of trash in the streets of san francisco would resonate, but honestly, I could back newsom.

Gretchen Whitmer, oh god, please no though. i don't like her AT ALL. She's a corporate dem, I have a moderate dislike of her. And I'd be holding my house for her and she is the one name that could cause me to defect to cornel west's campaign. Not saying I would, but it isn't out of the question, let me put it that way. I'll add these three to my scorecard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment