Saturday, October 7, 2023

Cenk Uygur 2024?

 So Cenk Uygur is thinking of running for president in 2024, and I have to seriously wonder if he's gone insane. This is the worst idea I've heard since Trump being speaker of the house, which sadly was only from a couple days ago. 

Why is this a bad idea? Well, the dude isn't even eligible. He's not a natural born citizen. The dude's from Turkey, he became a citizen later in life. So, this is a complete nonstarter. 

Hypothetically, if he was eligible, eh...I'd probably support him. I don't agree with him on everything, but he's a solid socdem/progressive in the Bernie mold. He's responsible for the justice democrats that got AOC elected. I mean this dude has been fighting for progressive values for well over a decade now and he has my respect for that. But come on man, stop wasting our time here. He's not even eligible to run...

Another issue is that for 2024? Eh, I think we're stuck with Biden. While Cenk Uygur is a step up from marianne williamson as far as dem candidates go, I really don't think this is the year for protest votes or campaigns against Biden. Biden has done an okay job, and while I could support a primary challenger like Williamson or a hypothetical Cenk candidacy in the alternative universe in which he can legally run....meh. I mean...yeah. Not the right time. We need to come together to defeat trump and this crazy fascist GOP and yeah, this isn't a time for this. 2028 or 2032 might be, but 2024? No. 

I suspect he's doing this because he wants to promote his new book, "justice is coming", which seems to be about an upcoming party realignment in which if we give it a few more years, progressives will win the future as the older generations will age out of politics and younger generations like progressive candidates better. I know I watched some videos on it and 2028 or 2032 seems like they could be the magic years this shift happens...but...not now.

And honestly, about Cenk....again, I'm not crapping on him for any other reason than him not being a natural born citizen. it's a literal constitutional requirement. Cenk legally can't be president. I think he should stick to his normal political advocacy. he has TYT, it's a very strong progressive network that while not perfect and has had its fair share of controversies over the years, is a clear force for good in the world IMO. And he has movements like justice democrats. If his organization wants to put someone forward in 2028, I'd be open to supporting them. No promises given my own agenda is a bit distinct from the rest of the left and I'm loyal to that first and foremost (see the previous article on how my goals don't align with Cornel West's on UBI), but eh, given UBI centric candidates are a rarity and given that TYT seems to fit that standard bernie supporting left wing mold...eh...I could back a justice dem in 2028 maybe. I could see myself going that way if no better candidate presents themself.

But let's face it. It's not gonna be Cenk, because he's literally not eligible.

No comments:

Post a Comment