Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Discussing Mike Johnson, our new house speaker

 So, the republicans finally got their crap together and finally elected a new house speaker. His name is Mike Johnson, and I took the liberty of researching him. You can see his views here, but to point out some of the more spicy stuff: 

He's a fundamentalist Christian and Young Earth Creationist

He's anti abortion and anti gay marriage

He voted to overturn the 2020 election in the state of Pennsylvania (and I took that personally)

So yeah. I do NOT like this guy. He's not only a fundie christian with extreme hard line views on the subject, but the dude basically tried to overturn democracy in my state.

So yeah. Screw this guy. I don't like him. 

To be fair I dont think i would've EVER liked whoever we got from the GOP. Even Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney are beyond the pale. But this guy is a bit of a nutter. Well, to be fair, McCarthy probably was too, even if I didn't go over his sheet of views

Actually he was a bit more moderate.

Now I wonder if the democrats made a mistake in going with his ouster. I know Gaetz was dragged over hot coals over this basically, but he got what he wanted in the end: a more extreme house speaker.

And of course, this makes me question my stance on "force the vote." As you know, originally I was neutral, but now im against it, but if this tactic ended up working, it could serve as a model for progressives to get more extreme democrats in higher positions later on. 

Maybe hardball really DOES work. 

We'll see how this plays out. I actually understand why the GOP wanted to oust mccarthy. It's actually the same reason I could live with the deals he made under biden. The damage was minimized, and if anything we got good deals here. I kinda feel like biden and the senate dems played mccarthy like a fiddle. And while that's great for us, it's not great for the GOP. 

We'll have to see how this government shutdown crap goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment