Thursday, October 12, 2023

Regardless of what I think of Cenk's run, I like his rhetoric

 So he basically replaced the original video I watched with another video with more extended discussion. And toward the end he mentioned his rhetorical tactics against both Trump and other dems like Manchin, etc. And basically, he has a real no nonsense attitude I find refreshing. He wants to go after trump, to call him a loser, to debate him aggressively and show his weaknesses. he doesn't want to play the civility politics that Biden and establish dems often do. The same is true with pushing policies in congress. he would try to fire the parliamentarian for holding up the $15 minimum wage, etc.

I admit, bluster can only get you so far and I could see him getting a little too trump like sometimes, but honestly, I like the cut of his jib so to speak. I like how he acts, I wish dems would act like that more often, and I would like to see cenk get down in the dirt with the don and take him on his own way.

I think that COULD maybe motivate people. I'm not sure. If there's anything I've learned, watching 40+ years of political debates going back to the 70s, it's that the more charismatic candidate often wins elections. Biden kind of lacks charisma. I dont think he's terrible at it. He has his "dark brandon" moments, and some memeable moments vs Trump ("will you shut up, man?"). But...yeah. I dont think dems make their own case sometimes. I only became as supportive of biden as I have because I actually look at his actions objectively, and try to report on them on this blog. And I'm fairly even handed on him. I give him credit where credit is due, but I also rip him where i DONT like him. I dont hold back, but i try to be fair. And eh...he aint perfect, but he's decent enough. 

Cenk could be an improvement. I wouldnt say he's perfect either. We all know how I feel about the guy's take on UBI as I discussed that the other day. But Cenk is decent. And he has charisma. And he is to the left on policy.

I'm still not convinced that Cenk would do better vs trump than biden based on polls alone. I see the argument he's making here and I intuitively agree, but again, virtually every poll I've seen tells me that Biden is "the guy", like it or not. He is the most electable, he has the incumbency advantage, and replacing him likely puts the dems in a WORSE position, not a better one. I'm open to what progressives have to offer. We all know I've been wanting a progressive who doesn't suck, and who isn't west or williamson. Cenk is better, at least in terms of style. Not sure on substance yet, but sometimes its style that actually wins elections. So we'll see. 

Idk. I'm curious where this goes. I still mostly think this guy is delusional and huffing too many of his own farts here, but I'm open minded to the idea. The fact is, this election is such a crapshow so far I'm open to almost anything at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment