Tuesday, October 24, 2023

So what actually went wrong with Halo infinite?

 So, I've been seeing a lot of videos and posts about how Halo infinite is back, and this new season is better than ever. So I went to check it out, and I played a few rounds. I havent played it in a while, but it felt good, and it does feel like I got a face lift and it does feel a bit better than the last time I played it.

But...idk, I kinda would probably disagree with the game ever really being bad. I discussed the issue previously on this blog, and I know it was fairly contentious when it came out, and I always liked the game, it was just that I got bored with it after a while. I feel like what makes it so much better now is just that...there's more content. The core game play is always what it was, it just feels like a full on fleshed out game.

Honestly, that's always been the big issue with Halo infinite. For me, the largest problem was one of content. The game released with 10 maps. Which...wasn't bad, but they got old rather quickly. And then we lost BTB mode for 2 months because 343 went on christmas vacation for a whole month when their servers went down, and then spent another month actually fixing the issue. So for the most part, after launch, we had access to 7 maps. 7 maps for the whole game. it felt more like a demo. 

And then it took like 6 months just to get 2 more. By this point my interest in the game was already waning. And then it took another 6 months or so for 2 more. 

 And then after that, I havent really played much. It's not that the game was bad. I mean, the fundamentals of halo infinite were always pretty solid in my opinion. It was a modern take on a halo game, and it was the one arena shooter that actually seems to have any success at all. Ya know with UT dead and Quake champions not having much of a player base. But Halo had a niche. And while I admit Halo infinite never seemed to retain the success of Call of Duty or even battlefield 2042, it actually did have solid game play. What really killed it I think was lack of content. 

And this new season has tons of content. 2 new maps, and then there's a ton of forge maps available with playlists just dedicated to the new maps? It's crazy how much content we now have.

This actually feels like a fully developed game rather than a demo.

I admit, for me, almost 2 years after launch it's a bit too little too late, but honestly? I'm glad to see it more fleshed out and worth playing. 

So yeah, where were the big issues with it? Just 343 being a poor steward for it early on, and being very slow with releasing content. It really came down to content, content, content for me. 

I admit that balancing some things between PC players and controller ones helps too, and SBMM doesn't feel as oppressive these days, but yeah. What really made me as bored with it as I was with the content, and the fact that by the time we got content the game play loop had become boring and I had moved on. I actually feel incentivized to actually stick around for more than one night of games this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment