Friday, October 6, 2023

You know you screwed up when Newt Gingrich steps in

 So, Newt Gingrich has stepped in and basically is calling for the expulsion of Matt Gaetz and other members of the republican caucus who voted to oust McCarthy.

I find this significant because Gingrich is a rather successful speaker of the house and he is actually kind of a master of politics. He's the one in the 90s who started a lot of the toxic trends we see in the GOP with his contract with america. He's the one who actually made the GOP into what they are today. Or at least he got the ball rolling with it. He's the one who went scorched earth vs clinton and made him moderate as much as he did. 

And he thinks that what gaetz and others did was wrong. I know I watched some of the videos on youtube of his interview, and he talked about when he was in congress he would isolate members like that, strip them of committee assignments, and render them harmless through such things. Basically their careers were over, and they would eventually push them out and get more amenable members of congress in charge.

I discuss this for two reasons. One, because the master of scorched earth basically is comdemning his party's most extreme factions for going too far. And I feel like this is significant. And two, it gives me a springboard to further my opinion on democrats doing this.

Because we had that force the vote thing a few years ago with Jimmy Dore and his ilk calling on AOC and others to "force a vote" on medicare for all and hold the government hostage to extract similar concessions from democrats, and IIRC there was talk among the crazy populist left of denying Pelosi a seat as well. And I tried to take a more neutral perspective on it. Obviously, I kind of sympathize. I'm no fan of the democratic party. And I do think the most wing leaning members of congress should sometimes take principled stands on issues that defy the party leadership. At the same time, I don't blame them for NOT doing so. Doing so is risky, it throws your job into jeopardy. And I even said it at the time, if they did this, nancy pelosi would likely strip such lawmakers of their committee assignments, and isolate them, and ensure they can't do much of anything. So...sometimes AOC and the squad and the progressive caucus play more paddycakes with the establishment than some voters are comfortable with. I dont blame AOC for that. Hell I've never blamed the furthest left members of congress for not doing enough. I honestly believe the do the best they can. I did kinda snub bernie once because he wouldn't talk to kyle kulinski who would ask him hard questions, but honestly, I do believe most are doing the best they can.

Honestly, I've really come to terms with the fact that despite whatever policy expertise I have, I would NOT make a good politician. Because given how principled I am, and given how I DONT get along well with others, let's face it, I would be completely ineffectual, and I would go down with my principles. 

That's why I do this instead. I'd rather cheer from the sidelines. Obama was right once when he said that prophets dont get to be kings. He said it in reference to bernie, which i disagree with, I think he would've made a great president, but there is some truth to it. In a democracy, a lot of people need to compromise, and relationships are currency in DC. You cant do anything alone because you're not a philosopher king, you're a politician operating under a system of checks and balances. And given my intelligence may be a 10 in fallout SPECIAL terms, my charisma is like...a 1. If you get what I mean. I am very intelligent, I think through my perspectives a lot, and while I'm good at articulating my views on a blog, my social skills are dumpster fire level. And I admit it outright. I'm not a "get along with others and go along with what they do or say" kind of person. I'm a "this is how I see it and screw you if you disagree" kind of person. Being this headstrong would make me as useful as matt gaetz. And while I might cheerlead my side to actually take bold actions and blah blah blah, I do understand that I'm not the person to actually navigate the intricacies of the social dimensions of politics. 

And yeah, I just felt like discussing that issue more.

No comments:

Post a Comment